Speed Drawing of Some Practice Scrollwork

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Hey everyone! Merry Christmas!
I don't get time to do much artistic engraving anymore but I have been enjoying drawing on my IPad Pro using the Apple Pencil and an incredible app called Procreate. It will record every stroke that you make and can output a video on demand. Here is one I did recently. It was inspired by some photos that Sam recently posted. Obviously I am no Sam Alfano but I hope you enjoy watching and I hope it can inspire someone to try drawing with this method. I am not sure how to embed this video directly in the post. If someone can help I would appreciate it.
[video]https://youtu.be/SPEfglrgP2w[/video]

auror

Cool. Looks amazing, but sadly, for me, I couldn't learn a thing from it.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's fantastic Andy! :clapping: The character of the lines is really good and you're getting the thicks and thins very nicely. This is certainly far more portable than a Wacom Cintiq, and I've experimented a couple of times with student's iPad pros and the stylus, and sooner or later I'm going to have to get one. Do you have the large size or the smaller one?

Thanks for posting this!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
wow. too bad i'm so computer illiterate, i could probably do some cool things with that!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, sometimes there's a not-so-fine line between being inquisitive and masochistic. my long history of contentious, combative relations with anything computer-related pretty much squelches any inclinations i may have to expand my skills in the digital arts.

Mandarin? you're just a glutton for punishment.

Sam

Staff member
I think you'll really enjoy the iPad and stylus for drawing. As I said, I tried it a couple of times with student's iPads and was really impressed how well it works. You can make it chalky, smooth, coarse, wet, etc. I assume it'll output to vector which would be great for designers and illustrators. I'm about due for an iPad upgrade myself!

As a computer graphics/photo/video geek for a lot of years, I highly recommend Lynda.com for video tutorials on getting up to speed quickly with different software. The tutorials are by certified industry pros and are excellent. You will save SO much time.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Thanks Sam. I intended to use Lynda for 2 programs, now I'll go peruse the other offerings.

Mitch, when you live with a Mandarin speaker, and want to learn it, it comes much easier - I hope?

That is how I acquired the Spanish. Living down there and raising a native family in Morelos and working in Guerrero for 7 years...

B.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Sam. I intended to use Lynda for 2 programs, now I'll go peruse the other offerings.

Look around Google for a coupon code for Lynda.com. I used to get them when I bought a new camera or software. You should be able to get a 30-day trial.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was thinking about the i pad pro, actually had bought it but the pencil was on backorder and they had no idea when they will get more in stock so I cancelled my order and bought the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 they sell several tears so I bought the best one that would be able to handle the graphics. Stylist has replaceable nibs which at the time the apple pencil could not, not sure now.
I use it with autodesk sketchbook pro. And i love it. I would recommend some youtube videos on either program. I love the surface book because its also a full blown computer no limits and is the size ofnthe ipad. Also running coreldraw on it. Well just my two cents worth.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available