Damar Varnish lid

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For those that use Damar varnish for your transfer methods you guys know how hard it is to put on and take off that lid sometimes that comes with it I use mineral oil for all my oil needs in the shop it's just safe for me to use versus other oils something I picked up from veteran engravers but the lid on the Walgreens mineral oil fits perfectly on the Damar varnish bottle which in turn makes it easier to remove. Just my two cents worth. I just pour acetone into the Damar varnish to help thin it out and spread evenly and dry faster and thinner. uploadfromtaptalk1482781205704.jpg

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Flashmo

I just take a flat blade screwdriver and pop the white "childproof" cap off the clear liner on the W&N Damar varnish. Works the same.

The drying sticky varnish under a childproof cap is the real problem. Eliminate the childproof part, and you are gtg.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm with flashmo. my bottle of Winsor Newton had THE most child-proof, adult-proof, maddening flippin' cap of any bottle i've ever encountered. after about a week i just cut the outer cap off.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Regarding sticking bottle caps, the first time I open them I always rub some chapstick, beeswax, Pam, or whatever lube is at hand, onto the threads of container and the lids of bottles, jars and superglue tubes. Never need to clean them with acetone and the lids and caps never glue themselves in place.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I keep mine in a glass bottle with an eye dropper and never had a problem. Being as it doesn't take much I just use the eye dropper to wet my brush.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Regarding sticking bottle caps, the first time I open them I always rub some chapstick, beeswax, Pam, or whatever lube is at hand, onto the threads of container and the lids of bottles, jars and superglue tubes. Never need to clean them with acetone and the lids and caps never glue themselves in place.

that is a good idea i will start doing that at the store

anvilring

So does anyone on this thread, know of a "thread" that fully explains how to use this method of transfer?? I've read so many post concerning this but where is a "how to" thread for those of us that have never done it before. I found this thread:

http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2365

which in turn led to this thread:

http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1661&page=5&highlight=parchment+transfer

I have a laser jet printer so, what is the best method to use??
I have no idea how to use Damar varnish or what it's for.

Any help appreciated.
regards, mitch

Last edited:

Sponsors