Announcement: Merry Christmas

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
A present for everybody to hold a pistol barrel or a auto slide in a vice.
The gray C-clamp works but is limited for length. The new and improved one is made out of a Irwin heavy duty clamp, [they also make a similar light duty one.] the end piece is drilled and tapped for a bolt. Using a rounded off brass bolt worked for the firing pin hole in the slide. Use brass pipe fittings to mate to the part. Using an old Foredom hand piece bearing allowed easy turning of the slide while engraving. The handle is cut and a hex is filed on the end to use a wrench for tightening. Drill out the end rivet, knock off the end clamp, file it larger to permit it to slide on the bar and drill extra holes to make it adjustable.
Merry Christmas
Mark

4E-Vice.jpg 4E-2c.jpg 4E-Close.jpg

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a few months ago i saved these pics because i was mulling over making something similar (not using a bar clamp, but i like the concept). anyway, i was just going thru my notes for that project and noticed one other interesting thing:

the vise is sitting in a tray full of ball bearings. that's pretty clever, Mark! i'd suggest maybe putting a cloth or thin piece of leather between the vise and the 'tire' to keep chips out of the bearings.

:thumbsup:

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Mitch,
I do use a cloth, I removed it for the photo.
Good catch!
The late Roger Henrichs gave me the tip for the BBs. Use a rubber sheet or something to slow the ring down alittle below the BBs.
The BBs make it easy to keep centered in the scope. Lock the rotation of the vise and the height will stay the same as you rotate the whole vice.
Mark

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Mitch,
I do use a cloth, I removed it for the photo.
Good catch!
The late Roger Henrichs gave me the tip for the BBs. Use a rubber sheet or something to slow the ring down alittle below the BBs.
The BBs make it easy to keep centered in the scope. Lock the rotation of the vise and the height will stay the same as you rotate the whole vice.
Mark
So as i understand it the bearings/ BB'S replace the need for a turn table. I like the idea

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
If the dam trees weren’t in the way of the forest I might be able to see the darn forest. Great slide fixture. I bought the positioning vise from grs and really wish I had stayed with the bb's and a pan I really find myself limited by the positioning vise verses the pan and bb’s. The pan of bb’s let me keep my work in field of view with no effort. I do like the 42 pounds of the positioning vise for killing the vibration of the hammering action of the 901 magnum. So what is a engraver to do?
Skill comes from diligence.