Engraved COLT SAA question

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You mention the AA white Egn. under the grip. Alvin White was an exceptional engraver. He also operated a firm called AA White Engraving where he employed others to do work for him. This is a fine example of the work of either one. He also did gun and knife making, scrimshaw, woodcarving and many other arts and crafts. Several in the Café knew him.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I believe Ken Hunt worked for Alvin White at one time, and I also think there was a connection with R.L. Wilson if I'm not mistaken. Sorry I don't know much about the value, but I'd say it's worth it for sure. I don't think you could hire someone to do work of this quality for that price.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
FWIW....The Colt SAA (I'll assume the date is correct, I have no reason to doubt) is probably worth $2500.00 just by itself.
You'd be hard pressed to get someone to do that nice of an engraving job for another $2500.00.
I don't know if the Ivory grips are factory (I thought they were mostly that black hard rubber), but a nice set would cost a bunch.

$5,000.00 seems more than a fair price to me.....especially if it came from AA White.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I remember correctly, AA White Engravers Inc was something more or less run by Larry Wilson. With his knowledge of engravers and engraving he was able to procure the needed talent for a full service engraving company whether you needed a one of a kind gun or a production run.

Sponsors