Introduction and Question about a New Hermes

WindlassArmory

Hi All! I am a new here and want to get into doing pantograph engraving. I have no previous experience or knowledge of engraving or these machines, except for the little bit of information I have read in this forum over the last few months. I sort of took the plunge in buying a pantograph, on a whim, and really without exactly knowing what I was buying. But the price was right and based on what I had seen them selling for, I thought maybe I could at least get my money back out of it, if it weren't the machine I needed for my purposes.

I bought a New Hermes, but I can't seem to find a model number on it. It has a serial number of 11 111569. It is marked engravograph with the 20 Cooper Square address. It has three rows for 5/8 inch fonts. I will try and include a picture here, although I am not sure if it will let me or not.

I have tried engraving plates so far, both plastic and aluminum, and it tends to run the letters together and looks terrible. I have no clue what type cutter it has installed on it, and that may be my problem. But I also am not sure what type cutter I need. I will mostly be doing aluminum, plastic, and maybe some steel plates. Will this machine do what I need? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I had one of these some years back. Sold it off to someone in southern CA.

Can't remember the model number... Research some, and meantime I'll look for an old catalog.

These machines are no longer in production, but the cutters and diamond drag quills are still available.

And there are tons of parts still available on Ebay.

What do you intend to use this for?

This forum is mostly hand engravers with a few who use these machines for transfer or lettering layouts.

Brian

WindlassArmory

For now, I mostly plan on just engraving names, addresses, item numbers etc. on name plates and tags. I know the majority of the people here do hand engraving, but I have read through numerous threads where people have a lot of experience with these Pantagraph engravers, was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction to what cutters I may need. The aluminum name plates I am using right now are about 1/16" thick and is like to have the lettering around 0.005 deep.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First advice would be to go back into your profile and add your general whereabouts.

Quite often, there is someone local or within driving distance that can help you out by showing you.

If you watch Ebay, there are New Hermes manuals or copies that come up - and those contain illustrations/instructions.

It is not difficult to learn to run these, but cutter grinding is an art, and the best information on those is gonna come from a company that does that.

www.antaresinc.net and the Engravers Journal at www.engravers journal.com are where you need to start.

Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
question about new hermes machine

first- measure the diameter of your cutters
2nd. there's a depth regulator at the bottom of the spindle. when the cutter protrudes, unloosen the little thumbscrew and adjust till the cutter just begins to cut.
3rd. most carbide cutters will do aluminum.
4th. i suspect the copyslide locks weren't tightened . any other questions-- give :biggrin:me a pm.

WindlassArmory

I added my location into my profile, and just for benefit of the thread, I'm in South Mississippi. Hattiesburg to be exact. If anyone is close, I'd be glad to buy you lunch if you'd give me a short tutorial.

But for now, thanks for that Info Monk.. I'll take a look at it here shortly and see if I can tighten/adjust it. Stay tuned!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since your letters are running together, make sure that your ratio numbers on all arms are set exactly the same and locked down solidly. Apparently you are using the rotary cutter so, as Monk indicated, you may be trying to cut too deeply. Most signs and name badges are made from Gravoply or a similar laminate where there is a thin top color over a thick bottom color. You should only cut deep enough to evenly go through the surface color. Further, the cutters vary in tip width. Small letters require a very narrow tip width but if you are cutting a sign with large letters you need a cutter with a wide tip.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also check to see it the ratio reduction on the arms is exactly the same number on the front 2 arms...

And that those thumbscrews are tight. If not, that would be one reason why your cutter is wandering.

The rotation is pulling and if they are not tight it will follow that pull/direction...

Brian

Antares will answer all of your questions as to the width of cutter you need and grind you some to those specifications.

Last edited:

Steve L S

Also its very easy to bust off the tip of your cutter and as a new user you will not know you have and will wonder why your cuts are ugly. So an el-cheapo loupe to inspect tips is a good investment in the beginning. Brian gave good advise to get a manual, any manual for any machine will help you. Once you get going you can try making your own templates (Monk has a thread on that) then you can advance from operating a machine to the craft of letter and emblem making. Good luck

monk

Staff member
Hi All! I am a new here and want to get into doing pantograph engraving. I have no previous experience or knowledge of engraving or these machines, except for the little bit of information I have read in this forum over the last few months. I sort of took the plunge in buying a pantograph, on a whim, and really without exactly knowing what I was buying. But the price was right and based on what I had seen them selling for, I thought maybe I could at least get my money back out of it, if it weren't the machine I needed for my purposes.

I bought a New Hermes, but I can't seem to find a model number on it. It has a serial number of 11 111569. It is marked engravograph with the 20 Cooper Square address. It has three rows for 5/8 inch fonts. I will try and include a picture here, although I am not sure if it will let me or not.

I have tried engraving plates so far, both plastic and aluminum, and it tends to run the letters together and looks terrible. I have no clue what type cutter it has installed on it, and that may be my problem. But I also am not sure what type cutter I need. I will mostly be doing aluminum, plastic, and maybe some steel plates. Will this machine do what I need? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

i think this is a model "itf". the problem with this model, you're stuck doing flat plate work. the machine can be modified, but one must have access to a machine shop to do a meaningful upgrade to it.

MichaelPek

i think this is a model "itf". the problem with this model, you're stuck doing flat plate work. the machine can be modified, but one must have access to a machine shop to do a meaningful upgrade to it.
Is there a place where I can find plans or design ideas for such modifications?

monk

Staff member
Is there a place where I can find plans or design ideas for such modifications?

i know of no such instruction. the modifications one would make would depend on what you wanted to do with the machine. one modification would be to make an xtra set of risers. this would allow for engraving articles that were higher than the machine will currently accomodate. im not trying to spend yer money, but a nh gtx floor model machine will do all flat work, but round items, as well as items that are larger. the gtx has a jack that will allow work on objects of a rather sizeable nature. an example would be bowling balls, baseball bats, and etc, etc.

Latest posts

Sponsors