Help, please: Help ... what disolves GRS Thermo-Loc?

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
OK, you folks are scaring me with what you have on hand and are willing to pour into open beakers:)
I realize most probably know the hazards of materials like MEK, etc., but just a reminder to be sure you research the hazards on these compounds before use for those not familiar with them. No offense intended.
Jeremy

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Jeremy,

That was exactly why I kept those options out of my first reply...

The skill sets of forum members vary way too much to give blanket advice on stuff that can hurt them.

And yes, I know that you can get burnt from a heat gun or dripping hot shellac - but you are far less likely to start a lethal process within your body.

Those of you who remember the days of Big Daddy Roth and the Candy Apple paint jobs, probably know why those paint jobs disappeared?

Lacquer thinner was described by a student of mine who works in HazMat - as "liver solvent". Goes through your skin and destroys your liver.

My own cancer was caused by fumes from cadmium alloyed "EZ" silver solders.

So yes, that sh*t happens - if you keep ignoring the warnings.

Brian

Last edited:

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
I UNDERSTAND EVERYONES CONCERN ... that is why I included the MSDS ... Use at your own discretion ... Im not advocating its use, only mentioning what worked for me.

AND FOR THE RECORD, I didn't pour it into an open beaker...I actually dropped bracelet into the bottle and screwed the top back on and let it sit for a while. Then took it outside to remove it and allowed it to gas off (outside).

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Geez Brian nothing like a good wiff of Toluene in the morning to get the synapses miss firing.:eek:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Or spending 3 whole days in a closed 10' x 10' tack room at Golden Gate Fields Racetrack in the winter time - gluing 40 pair of 36" x 40" squares of Naugahyde to 2" foam to make "turbulator" ice boots for race horses... with Barge cement.

And that doesn't count gluing in the zippers and putting on the logos & trim.

The ultimate glue sniffing experience... As I recall, the headache from that stupid little adventure lasted about a week or ten days?

Considering all the other stupid stuff I have done, I am more than lucky to be alive.

Brian

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Archie,

Did you try the acetone at all? I use it all the time and it works 100 percent of the time. After a while the acetone in the jar gets grey from it dissolving the material. I guess I don't understand why anyone would use such toxic stuff when there is an alternative .

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Everyone note you really don't want acetone on your skin or breath it in much either... it's not a 'friendly' option... just kills you slower. (I've heard)

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Christian, I thought I sent this response yesterday....
Yea, I did try the acetone technique as you suggested and nothing happened...glass jar in ultrasonic...maybe I didn't leave it in long enough. Was in 10 minutes or so and that was after soaking it over night. How long should it take?
Archie,

Did you try the acetone at all? I use it all the time and it works 100 percent of the time. After a while the acetone in the jar gets grey from it dissolving the material. I guess I don't understand why anyone would use such toxic stuff when there is an alternative .

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Ten minutes should be enough given that you soaked it overnight. It makes no sense to me I never had it not work. Make sure it's acetone and not fingernail polish remover some of that stuff is not the same. Are you sure it's Thermolock? There are other brands of the same stuff on the market but it's basically all the same stuff. I guess my only comment then would be I just don't know .

Chris

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Not to keep "beating a dead horse"....but to answer your question (and ask another).

I know it's Thermo-Loc for sure cause I just ordered it a week or so ago and acetone was just purchased at Lowes a month ago. While it did soften it a bit but it really didn't dissolve it; could dig it out with toothpicks and tweezers (after five minutes I posed the question to this site).

BTW Just wondering. When you placed your glass jar with acetone in the ultrasonic, did you remove the ultrasonic solution first or just set it down into the solution? Did you turn on the heat? I drained the solution first and didn't turn on the heater (thought it not good to have heater on with no solution in tank)?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Aw, man... I don't have another dead horse joke ready!

Have to think of one later, gotta leave right now to pick up a work crew...

I would think that if you drained the ultrasonic tank - there was no transfer (or very little) of ultrasound to the jar.

The little transducers are cemented to the bottom of the metal tank - but unless there is liquid above and between them, not much happens.

And had you not drained it the heat coulda been left on, and it helps. A lot!

Brian

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
BTW Just wondering. When you placed your glass jar with acetone in the ultrasonic, did you remove the ultrasonic solution first or just set it down into the solution? Did you turn on the heat? I drained the solution first and didn't turn on the heater (thought it not good to have heater on with no solution in tank)?

Leave the solution in the tank - this will allow the ultrasonic waves to be transmitted into the acetone. The solution was already hot - I had used this method a number of times before but this was the first time the bottom dropped out of the jar

(Sorry - posted this before I had seen that there were other replies)

horologist

My ultrasonic is filled with clock cleaning solution. When I need to clean small parts in something else I use a small plastic or glass container filled with the alternate solution. Usually just letting it float around in the tank. Heat is almost always better for cleaning. My understanding is that the ultrasonic should never be run while the tank is empty. If memory serves it is a good way to destroy the bond between transducer and tank, thus ruining the machine.

Troy

Sponsors