Help, please: Help ... what disolves GRS Thermo-Loc?

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
OK, so I confess right up front I didn't read the instructions before using it. Besides, everybody knows "real men" don't ask for directions or read them :eek: (we won't talk about the fact that I spend my entire professional business career authoring technical training LOL).
Anyway back to the problem, in the interest of holding a bracelet to set 58 -2mm stones, I pressed the bracelet into the warm TLoc. Everything was good until I went to remove it .. 3 inches of a 7.5 inch bracelet can off clean while the other 4.5 inches has TLoc in all the "nooks and crannies". So at this point, I need to find something that will dissolve the TLOC. Have tried Acetone and it somewhat softens it but not really dissolves it ... yet ... still soaking it in hopes that I will eventually dissolve it. Im open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Karlspinks

Generally nothing that comes in a plastic bottle will work to dissolve the plastic.

Are the stones cz's or another heat resistant stone? If so just burn it off with a torch
Or if you are using heat sensitive stones use a heat gun as the thermo lock will soften and melt quickly and at a much lower temperature than will damage the stones.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Depends on the piece.

You can try the freezer, you can try the freezer again after warming and soaking in oil, you can try adding more thermoloc and changing the direction you are heating from or you can get out a box of toothpicks and some broken sawblades and sit in front of the microscope 'till dinnertime...

Brian

I'm not gonna suggest acids and really nasty solvents because the skill sets on this forum vary too much.

Burning it off - unless you are willing to have some discoloration would be my last option.

Last edited:

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Archie,

Xylene - available at most hardware stores - may be a little more aggressive than Acetone.

If the Acetone is working for you it's probably a much safer method to use. Agitation would probably help as well.

Regards,
Gary

Last edited:

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Archie,

I just put some acetone in a jar and put it in the ultrasonic without a lid. It will remove it all in no time. The acetone will heat up from the agitation but I have never had any issue with that. . Or you can just let it soak in acetone for some time and it will all dissolve.

Chris

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
It is for this reason that I prefer not to use Thermo-loc or Jet Set for setwork as it gets into the smallest spaces and present a real problem getting it out again.
I use setters shellac and dissolve the excess in paint thinners in a small plastic container in my ultrasonic cleaner.
For flat plates stuck on the shellac simply place in the freezer for 5 minutes and just pop the plate off with a finger nail. Virtually zero residue left behind this way.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Jan.

I use shellac probably half the time for setting, but not so much for engraving...

There are several other methods that also work for particular situations. Cerrobend, Aquaplast, chasers green or red pitch, 5 kinds of stonesetters and lapidary shellacs, Bondo, hot glues, epoxies and resins are only a few.

Sometimes you need to resort to soldering a very thin workpiece to a heavier base. (Don't just do this! Learn about it and how to remove the solder residue first)

When one method you're using gives you a problem or becomes a PITA, you'll look for alternatives that actually work in whatever circumstance you have in front of you.

And you'll eventually find one...

Brian

Last edited:

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
this is great information. archie, thank you for asking the question, and thanks to all the folks who replied with answers.
diane

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Can't help with the solvent, but next time put a piece of cheap plastic shopping bag between the workpiece and the Thermolock.

Diacutter

Archie,

I just put some acetone in a jar and put it in the ultrasonic without a lid. It will remove it all in no time. The acetone will heat up from the agitation but I have never had any issue with that. . Or you can just let it soak in acetone for some time and it will all dissolve.

Chris

I agree with Chris. I have run into this in the past and the acetone did the trick.

Dave

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, some glass will do that... lost some flint glass beakers that way once.

Can't remember why now, but in Mexico once - someone put a green glass Coke bottle in one of the ultras and it shattered.

Pyrex hasn't done it to date.

And "Microwave Safe" kitchen cookware ain't the same as "Utrasonic Safe".

B.

If Henri is on the forum, he'll remember the time he tried to heat a Pyrex bowl full of pickle with a concentrated soldering flame.

That didn't work out well either...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
try MEK (MethylEthylKetone) it's commonly used for solvent welding plastic pipe, etc., and is available in most any hardware store or home center. usually much more aggressive dissolving plastics like ABS than acetone.

Sponsors