Question: Lacquering firearms

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Any advice on lacquering?
I have a gun that will stay in the white and I need to protect it. I know the Europeans lacquer many of their guns, but I have only ever heard scattered tid bits of info on the procedure. So any recommendations on products and techniques, from those who know something about it, would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Brian

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brownells has sold a "baking lacquer"(?) for many years. i vaguely remember somebody saying it needed thinned so as not to build too thick a layer over fine engraving, but that was a looong time ago. others just use "renaissance wax".

maybe ask somebody like Doug Turnbull, who does a lot of color casehardening.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Brian,
Even though I'm and EX-Brit I dislike the look of their lacquered guns.
On coin finish, French Gray or in the white guns I have had pretty good results using about a tea spoon of old fashion spar varnish thinned down in about 6 ounces of acetone.
Warm the metal with a hair dryer and dip or mop the acetone mixture to cover.
The warm metal flashes off the acetone in the mixture and leaves the varnish deposited in the minute pores of the metal.
Give it a day to fully harden the varnish in the pores and go over it lightly with a new clean pink pearl eraser if needed.
And if you don't like the look it's easy to remove it all with a simple acetone soak.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
For years now I have sprayed the project I have in the white waiting to be blued with WD 40 the wrap them in cling wrap good and tight. Couple of more wraps of cling wrap. I have a 20 ga model 12 that has been wrapped like that for about 5 years. It's my gun waiting to be engraved then blued and restocking. Hope this helps. Oh ya it cleans up a lot easier then a lacquer.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
You might also consider a Renaissance wax coating, perhaps with a bit of lamp black in the first coat or two to enhance the engraving. Stands up fairly well and SO easy to reapply.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Forget the duracoat. It is too thick for fine engraving. I have used Brownell's baking lacquer clear and matte but it needs t obe baked on at 350° F for 1 hour' . You can put it on a let it dry to see how it looks. If you don't like the looks you can wash it off before baking. After baking it will not come off with any ordinary solvent. Ron Smith has used it also on some of his stuff.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you use truoil make sure you thin it out It's too thick straight out of the bottle I know one individual who uses this after colorbcase hardening to bring out the colors What you can also use is a spray fixative from an art supply store called krylon tuffilm Is a plasticy type of spray or you can try any other of their spray fixatives to see what floats your boat Personally i like using wax even a good butchers paste wax which is a carnuba wax warm up the metal a bit and it really adhears mix a little ink with it and it works to bring out banknote scenes

paintedman

Definitely no pro here so your mileage may vary but i have had good results with moly kg gunkote clear ,bakes on at 3-350 in the oven applies with a airbrush or detail gun . It is chemically impervious to cleaning solutions and is millimeters on aplication will not change the tolerancescomes in flat , satin and gloss ive been putting it on guns over 10 years and have yet to have a failure from any thing it was applied to , we used it in our firearms mfg and refinishing biz exclusively.

http://www.kgcoatings.com/products/2400-series-gun-kote

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors