which laser printer?

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Time to buy a new copier/ printer/ scanner. I guess the laser printers are the favorite for making transfers. Does anybody have a new or old favorite to recommend?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Still very happy with my Canon ImageClass 1120 laser printer/copier/scanner. Had it for a few years now and have had zero issues with it. It's the same printer(s) we use in the classrooms at GRS.

Joe Jacob

The toner in Brother laser printers does not work with acetone, or any other solvent that I have tried.
HP printers all seem to work.
I picked up a used printer at a Goodwill store for $25 a few years ago and I'm still using it.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i've used a couple Canon MF4770 series that work fine.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The toner in Brother laser printers does not work with acetone, or any other solvent that I have tried.
HP printers all seem to work.
I picked up a used printer at a Goodwill store for $25 a few years ago and I'm still using it.

Thanks for the reminder, Joe. Brother printers appear to be the only ones that can't be used for common acetone transfers. Their toner is different that what other companies use.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Like Sam, I have had great service from a Canon Laser.
Mine is a model MF227dw.
Great enlargement/ reduction capabilities by set amounts or individual degrees.
Also easy choice of print density.

Darrell

Thanks for the reminder, Joe. Brother printers appear to be the only ones that can't be used for common acetone transfers. Their toner is different that what other companies use.

Huh?...........my Brother HL-2430D Laser printer works great on transfers..........

Darrell

Darrell, are you using the Brother toner?

yes sir...........I did however, find the original toner that came with the printer was excellent, but since had to replace with another Brother toner made for my model, but it's not as easily transferred as other toner, but still works but not as dark.I also do photography, so I do run my image into Photoshop and hit contrast and darken image so to get more ink on the paper.

Last edited:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
So I just bought a Brother and had to take it right back. Transfer didn't work with original toner , plain paper, baking parchment, TW' trans. sheets, TW stencil sauce and acetone. Tried every option. Best Buy only has Brother printers, Walmart only had HP,,, out of my current budget. GGRRRRR

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Brother HL-2270DW laser printer, and it works very well with parchment paper and transfer to a surface with Dammar varnish. I use the Brother toner. I've been using it for a couple of years.

Last edited:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I think I'm going to go with a Cannon, Are all the Cannon guys using Cannon Toner or are there acceptable alternatives?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I'm using a Canon TC-137 toner cartridge.
It also worked right out of the box with the"starter cartridge."
And the starter cartridge lasted for months of use.
Don't know about after market toner.
Will stick with Canon. Not too expensive for the amount I use.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Cannon printer doesnt work

OK, So I just bought a cannon laser printer,Image class, D-530,, same results=no results, the cartridge is a 128 starter. prints on paper, paper doesn't transfer with, acetone, damar with zippo Tw's transfer fluid on paper, parchment or TW's transfer sheets!!!!! what works.??????. Please help!!!

Last edited:

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
What works for me is: Print on parchment paper, lightly coat metal with straight (nothing added) Dammar varnish, when almost dry/tacky, put parchment paper on metal and burnish over printed image.

If this doesn't work, try to remove printed image by wiping your finger across it. If it comes off, you should be able to transfer, and it not the printer, it's what you are applying to the metal surface.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a 530 and it works great right from the starter cartridge to a replacement. I just use plain paper and acetone. Don't drown it just dampen it. Make really crisp transfers.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a Cannon Image class 530, no dice. It made a FAINT BLurry image with plain paper and acetone and with TW's solution and transfers. Returned to Walmart and it will be 7-10 days before my money is back on my card. This is getting very annoying. Merry F'n xmas F'n Walmart!!!

Sponsors