Show your flintlock

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Phil, nice drawings great reference material.
Leland, Nice swivel breech ....... took you about a week, right? ;) Your bench just doesn't have enough horn dust, wood shavings with a bit of metal glitter to finish off the ambiance! I have wondered that very question, why is the metal not embellished as much as the wood, the mounts are even cast for flow and not squared off pieces like our colonial period work. I'm only guessing that the guild system may have had an influence to some degree. I just don't know and so many variables or possibilities. I'm interested in any information someone may have gleaned on this subject.
Mark

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I noticed that early, non-military, wheellock guns were often elaborately engraved, then after a certain period the stocks became more and more elaborate and the metal was left quite plain. Bolek Maciaszczyk, of Poland, is an expert and builder of wheelocks. I asked him about this change of decorative treatment but he didn't have a good answer. By the time of the percussion era, deluxe gun makers in Europe were making making guns with both highly carved stocks and elaborate engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors