Self-made turn table

Tsu

It has been almost two years of engraving experience till I realize how important a turn table is. GRS turn table seems to be the only one that can be purchased in China, but its price is way way beyond my budget. So the only choice is to make one.

The fundamental idea is to attach a board to a big bearing. They must be very easy to get and work with, and relatively cheap. After many comparisons, I found that the bearing used in Chinese dining table was the best. I assume Chinese restaurants in America use similar tables.
It's the bearing makes the glass rotatable.

The rest was easy. Cut a disc same size as the bearing from plastic board, and glue it to the bearing.

Upside: only costs 6 bucks
Downside: 1. the plastic is not firm enough, shakes along with punching of handpiece 2. cheap bearing not perfectly smooth 3. can't adjust rotating resistance

#1 and #3 of downside are not difficult to fix. The only and deadly problem is not smooth enough. But hey, it's cheap!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Tsu, I have one made with a lazy susan bearing like yours. Smear some thick, heavy grease in the bearing ( I use petroleum jelly ,Vaseline brand ) and it will smooth right out. I have to reapply about once every 6 months or so. I also used some thick plywood for the top, it should be more stable than the plexiglass you have used. No need to remove your plastic just, lay the plywood right on top.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A turntable must be perfectly smooth in order to do precision cutting. I hope you can fix that, and I applaud your efforts.

Tsu

Tsu, I have one made with a lazy susan bearing like yours. Smear some thick, heavy grease in the bearing ( I use petroleum jelly ,Vaseline brand ) and it will smooth right out. I have to reapply about once every 6 months or so. I also used some thick plywood for the top, it should be more stable than the plexiglass you have used. No need to remove your plastic just, lay the plywood right on top.
That's a good advice. I was thinking to change it into glass or steel. My bearing has thick heavy grease in it already.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JonathonQuill

Greetings, here is my realized napkin drawing turntable. Hopefully it may offer a few ideas to anyone needing a cheaper solution.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tsu: i have made 2 that are quite similar to yours. one thing you may want to add-- a brake mechanism. there may be times you wont want the rotation. i use leather bags filled with shot in mine.

Latest posts

Sponsors