Working in secret - is it a good or bad thing?

Flashmo

Worldwide, most companies have nothing to do with producing the product they sell."Brands" are for marketing, and most companies are strictly marketing and fulfillment entities. To that end, they all have to farm out the making of their product. It is almost ALL done with non-discloaure agreements in place. Hopefully Mike Morgan will chime in...this is what he does for a living.

My company makes expensive artful pieces, but we do A LOT of contract work for other companies under their name. If it weren't for the contract work, we would not be able to keep them employed year round. How do you keep a craftsman by laying them off and trying to call them back as orders materialize...you don't, they find another long term job.

From the artists standpoint it is more difficult. You got into your art to make art, not manufacture. You gain more commissions based on the previous art you have made. What do you so when your art won't pay all the bills all the time? You take contract work, and sign the nondisclosure agreement.

Sam, in your case, I would argue that your name attached to the product , based on your body of work would make their product MORE saleable than if you worked anonymously. Some of my customers promote that I design or build their product hoping customers are familiar with the name and it affects the purchase decision.

Latest posts

Sponsors