Announcement: R. L. "Larry" Wilson

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yesterday, I was informed of the death of author and historian, R. L. "Larry" Wilson, on Saturday evening, December 10. This news hit me like a thunderbolt. In fact I had to digest it for a day before I could write this notice.

For those in the gun engraving and collecting world, Larry needs no introduction. He was undoubtedly the most prolific author of firearms related books in history. His significance to gun engravers is that his books form the foundation of our individual libraries. Personally, my book shelves are filled with Wilson books, the first of which was L. D. Nimschke Firearms Engraver. His beautifully illustrated volumes include several books on Colt and Winchester engraving.

Aside from Larry's books directly referencing gun engraving, all of his books featured a heavy assortment of engraved guns, knives, and accessories. When you hear someone refer to a particular gun as an engraver's "canvas," it is a reference to his widely read book Steel Canvas.

It is my personal opinion that Larry's literary work is directly responsible for much of the work that American gun engravers have today due to his widespread and tireless promotion of the need for collectors and shooters to have engraved guns as as part of their battery.

I have known Larry for many years. When my first book was published in 1980, I had some concern that Larry might feel that I was "poaching" in his territory. On the contrary, Larry was very complimentary and encouraging. In fact, for my second book, Larry was invited to contribute a chapter on American engraving that eloquently enhanced that edition.

I could go for many paragraphs about Larry Wilson's contributions and importance to the world of hand engraving but I will close for now by saying that it is hard for me to accept that there will be no more Wilson books forthcoming.

Requiescat in pace, Larry Wilson.

Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for passing on this sad news Roger.
I too greatly appreciated his books, especially those featuring engraved guns.
The Nimschke book was the first one I began to study way back when and I still use it today.
My most sincere condolences to his family.

Weldon Lister

Andrew Biggs

A great loss to the whole engraving and gun collecting community world wide.

His books are legendary and have become collectors items in their own right. His original books fetch prices far in excess of their original value.

I had the privilege to meet him a couple of times and worked with him on an article for the FEGA Engraver magazine. He was a pleasure to deal with and visit.

His legacy will live on through his books for countless generations of gun enthusiasts to come.

Kua hinga te totara i te wao nui a Tane…………The totara has fallen in the forest of Tane

Andrew

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow. Just wow. Larry Wilson's books certainly influenced me and were an often viewed resource, but not quite as much as that first American Engravers book that was just a gold mine of different styles. I'm trying to think of that authors name.......

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The last time I saw and talked to Larry was two years ago at the gun show in Vages and the last books I purchased from him was at the Maryland Antique Gun show in 2013 The Art of the Gun Magnificent Colts the Robert M.Lee collection volume 1&2 by Wilson & Lee.RIP Larry,he was one of my favorite authors. J.J.

Last edited:

Tim Young

I am sorry to hear of his passing. I have several of his books and refer to them almost daily. My prayers for his soul and for his family.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
larry_wilson_autograph.jpg

So sorry to hear of Larry's passing. We go back to the early 80s when he came to visit us at New Orleans Arms Co. His books are indeed the foundation of the engraver's library, and his autograph is scrawled across the yellowing pages of my Nimschke book.

His literary contributions to the art of engraving have helped and inspired many of us. RIP Larry, and condolences to your family.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I am also sad to hear the news. Our paths crossed many times over the years and Larry was always friendly and willing to chat about our favorite subjects, guns and engraving. RIP!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, the first time I ever met Larry Wilson was walking on Bourbon St. with you one night. The NRA convention was in town ('84? '85?) and we just exchanged the briefest of pleasantries then went our separate ways. I've always remembered he was wearing a dark blue(?) velvet jacket. Quite the bon vivant.

Sam

Staff member
Sam, the first time I ever met Larry Wilson was walking on Bourbon St. with you one night. The NRA convention was in town ('84? '85?) and we just exchanged the briefest of pleasantries then went our separate ways. I've always remembered he was wearing a dark blue(?) velvet jacket. Quite the bon vivant.

Your memory is better than mine, Mitch! I'd forgotten about that. Man, that was many moons ago!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It probably made more of an impression on me because it was the first time I'd met the man. We were walking along and you said, "I think that's Larry Wilson, the book guy...", so when we passed on the sidewalk you made a quick intro.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
NRA, New Orleans, 1986...remember it well, especially Ralph and Cocku's (but don't remember how to spell Cocku's). Great place to eat in the French quarter!! Bunch of us engravers went there, got in right away and had a sumptuous meal. When we left there were maybe 200 people out on the street waiting to get in...and having a great party while waiting.

Sam

Staff member
That was Ralph & Kacoo's, Sam! You have a great memory as well. That sure was a fun evening! Hard to believe it's been 30 years.

monk

Staff member
View attachment 40098

So sorry to hear of Larry's passing. We go back to the early 80s when he came to visit us at New Orleans Arms Co. His books are indeed the foundation of the engraver's library, and his autograph is scrawled across the yellowing pages of my Nimschke book.

His literary contributions to the art of engraving have helped and inspired many of us. RIP Larry, and condolences to your family.

kind of timely, the date i mean, only two days from now

monk

Staff member
thru his book on nimschke, i began a real journey, just researching ldn and his work. never met wilson, but nonethe less, i am saddened by the passing of such an influential person. quite some time ago, i gave my ldn copy to a friend. i sort of miss looking thru it when life gets a bit bothersome. to me, the book became a minor treasure.

Sam

Staff member
churchill-wilson-grifnee.jpg

Grandmasters August 12, 2005

(left) Winston Churchill (center) R.L. Wilson (right) Phil Grifnee.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Back 1990 I was looking for a copy of Colt Engraving and couldn't find one anywhere, so I called Larry to suggest a source. We talked a little engraving and he said he had a copy he would sell me. When I received it, he had written the following on the first page:

" For Fred R. Bowen

In mutual fascination of and dedication to the art of the gun engraver. Best wishes & good luck from the author.

R.L. Wilson, Hadlyme Ct. Feb. 12.1990"

It wasn't until Winston Churchill's first Grand Masters in 2005 that I got to meet him and I thanked him for the kind words. I will miss him.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Larry certainly was a "National Treasure". He never failed to spend a few minutes with anyone and share his thoughts or offer encouragement.
"Till the day breaks and the shadows flee away"....Happy memories, R.L Wilson.

Latest posts

Sponsors