+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like

Post learning to hand engrave steel dies

Hello,
    Does anyone know if there is a place for a hand engraver to learn to hand engrave a steel die for producing a medal?

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple of people in the group who are die cutters who can help. Your post says you are a hand engraver already, do you have any specific questions? Also, adding your location to your profile may help find out if anyone is local to you.

Joe Paonessa
    (very) amateur die cutter

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, I'm so new to this way of communicating! I will complete my profile as you suggest.
    Specifically, where would I be able to purchase steel blanks for engraving and be able to have them hardened and stamped after engraving?
    Since I have been engraving for years on jewelry, on steel dies, the engraving is deeper. I need to know which tools to use and how to engrave the lettering deep enough to make it through the coining process, and in general, which tools to use to engrave artwork for producing a medal die, as well as techniques to do so. Is there anywhere to go to learn this?
    Thank you, Destiny

Post Thanks / Like

There is a die engraver in the group who lives in Pennsylvania named Steve Adams. If you message him, you will get a YUGE amount of information on die cutting. He has been cutting dies for decades, likes to help out new engravers, and makes a mean pot roast.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I've written to ask.
    About the engraving that is.

Rose

+ Reply to Thread