Robin Hood Co.pistol engraved

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here are some pictures of a pistol my friend believes is engraved by Nimshke,his father found the pistol at yard in upstate New York.

robin hood co (9).jpg robin hood co (3).jpg robin hood co (5).jpg robin hood co (2).JPG robin hood co (6).JPG

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ its close but I dont think it is a lot of these guns were done bynvarious companies in N Y C The shading looks a bit different but hard to tell without sharper images great find though What do you think you've looked at it closer than me

JJ Roberts

Sam,Marty,My assistant will be sending you larger pictures of the pistol on face book. J.J.

chris_3612000

Robin Hood co.

close ups robin hood co

Attachments

• robin hood co (6).jpg
    robin hood co (6).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 272
  • robin hood co.jpg
    robin hood co.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 270

chris_3612000

Robin Hood co.

close up of robin hood co

Attachments

• robin hood co (6).jpg
    robin hood co (6).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 274
  • robin hood co.jpg
    robin hood co.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 270

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
God knows that I'm not any kind of expert on Nimshke's engravings, but the haphazard punch-dot background is certainly not up to his level of expertise. I'll leave the scroll work and shading to others to decide.

JJ Roberts

Doc,I believe your right those dots are over lapping and are all over the place. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the closeup photos JJ. IMHO I don't think it's Nimschke's engraving. His work was much more refined. Whoever did it was obviously influenced by him.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Close but no cigar! As Sam indicated, this engraver was highly influenced by LDN's style and may even have done fast production work for him. When I am asked to do an attribution of a possible Nimschke, I use several points of comparison like a fingerprint expert does. Some elements that I look for are missing. Also, look at the right side. The lower leaf that surrounds the trigger pin. You will see a row of circles made with a punch used to shade the stem. Nimschke never did that in all of the verified examples I have examined.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
like doc, i cant see that sloppy punch dot on anything done by ldn. no expert, jm2cw

Latest posts

Sponsors