4 most annoying words to an engraver...

Julia.J

"You have a nice hobby...but what do you do for a living?"
"That looks great! I would buy it, but I took this jewelry course xxx years ago so I'm going to make one exactly like that! I should have a chisel somewhere..." (his wife were standing next to him, she kind of sighed or grunted and slowly backed towards the exit.)

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Well as an utter beginner here's my perspective from the other end of the spectrum:

"He's doing engraving now". Invariably uttered by my significant other or another relative to the unknowing.

Since I'm not running for office I try to be honest about my lack of skill so this statement invariably has to be followed by an explanation of how I'm not an engraver, I'm trying to learn engraving and it's a long process and I'm no good at it yet and no I can't engrave anything for them.... etc., etc. etc.
I'm thinking I should start carrying around one of my worst practice plates to show folks just how bad my current "work" is.
I suspect some of them still wouldn't get it.

Jeremy

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I received a call about engraving a 44 cal. S&W dirty Harry special the gentleman want scrolls,dogs and wild bore,I gave him a price but never heard back until we meet at a gun show he hand me the gun engraved with a dog,two bore and two scrolls that looked terrible,now he want me fix the crappy engraving I said sure we'll start by filing off all the that crap and starting all over again he grabs the gun out my hand and walk off in a huff,now were the best part of the story I meet this guy at a gun show years later he's walking around the with a model 12 Winchester engraved in Japan I said hello to him and looked at me and said oh your till alive. J.J.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
I carve a lot of hobo nickels and I always hear..."don't you know it's against the law to make those?" I don't even bother to explain, I just say "the government has bigger fish to fry than worry about these coins".

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
What they usually say is "nice etching", then I have to explain the difference between engraving and etching.It makes the time go by faster.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
" I cannot accept that ". The words I heard from an overseas customer in reference to customs tax after shipping. Long story yet to be resolved.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A number of years ago i had a lady ask me the usual how much? I quoted her $500. She gasped and said " my god.. i can buy a car for that price!!!!!" Now naturally cars were cheaper then but not that cheap

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am going to use Ray Cover without his permission as an example to all of the above. Sorry Ray if it is a problem.

Ray had some one by one 1/4 inch steel blocks mad up. On each he carefully tracked the time involved to design, cut and finish each of his various "standard" styles accounting for every moment he spent on them. for Ray that is a lot of little blocks. some had single color inlays others multicolor inlays. They are quite beautiful to see. each has the number of hours and his hourly rate actually the cost of one sq. inch of his work. He is able to calculate approximate number of inches on the item to be engraved and show the customer just what their dollars will buy period. No bargain hunters need apply.

Smartest system I've seen. straight to the point no surprises no shocks to the customer. Thanks Ray, hope this was okay with you. Fred

T.G.III

"wow that's nice, do you use some sort of CNC machine?"

"engraving huh, do you do the swap meet/farmers market circuit?"

"we would love it if you would bring your stuff down to the market, engraving isnt very expensive is it?"

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK how about when you are set up at a show and someone says...why didn't you bring your tools here and do some work? My answer usually is..if i wanted to work i would have stayed home.
They usually dont get it

JJ Roberts

I some times do a demonstration at the gun show using a hand push graver and it get some interesting comments like engraving must be a dying art,no it's not a dying art there are many talented engravers here in the U.S.and in Europe and England. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I some times do a demonstration at the gun show using a hand push graver and it get some interesting comments like engraving must be a dying art,no it's not a dying art there are many talented engravers here in the U.S.and in Europe and England. J.J.

Very true! I hear that "dying art" thing all the time.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Customer asks: "Please engrave this ring exactly like the one you did a month ago for us"
Me: "I will do my best, but it is free hand engraving and seeing that I dont have the ring from a month ago in hand as a sample there might be some difference"
Customer: Three days after collecting the ring "This work is totally unacceptable! There is great unhappiness as the work is not cut as deep as the previous ring you did for us."
Me: "What seems to be the problem? The work is some of the best work I have ever done and I told you there may be some difference seeing I had to try and copy work I did a month ago without having a sample on hand"

After this short dialogue a whole lot of swearing followed and I eventually started criticising their work as they criticized my work quite unfairly. Apparently they do not enjoy being told that after 30 years as a goldsmith they still can't work off platinum castings properly and lack the skills to use simple scraping and burnishing tools. Needless to say the trade customer came and collected the remaining work from me with a bloated upper lip and a frown as deep as the Grand Canyon.
If you want to criticize peoples work, make sure you are qualified to do so!

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
My brother wanted me to go over and fill the worn letters of our mother's computer keyboard. Here's an idea - go buy another keyboard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors