4 most annoying words to an engraver...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Well, can't you just ________?"

who among us have not heard these words when faced with lettering that won't fit the space allotted at the size required/requested, or an uneven/crooked border of a part, or rust pitting/bad solder/weld or some other uncorrected surface flaw, excessively hard steel, etc., etc., etc.????

my standard reply has become, "I'm a technician, not a magician."

:mad:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Can't you just fill the bad engraving in and re-engrave it?
Can't you just show me a few sketches of designs so I can choose one?
Can't you just hurry? I need it for Christmas/a wedding/a birthday/a graduation.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They find a very detailed show gun online and expect to pay around $200....I've just learned to state my base starting price. If they reply then they mean business, most just disappear into the night.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
No rush, I'll pick it up tomorrow morning ( usually said at 3pm )

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
some confuse my machine work with hand engraving." i can just wait while you do it", okay?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
"You're an engraver? Can you melt down my grandmother's rings and make me something?"

Andrew Biggs

Money's not a problem (that tells you instantly that money will be a major problem)

I don't have a price or budget in mind (liar)

The cheque must have got lost in the mail (yeah, right)

My 15 year old son/daughter is good at drawing and they will provide the artwork (be very afraid)

I have a $200 crappy old gun. How much for full coverage engraving (delete email or hang up the phone immediately)

:) :) :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can you give me a bid on......

I know we are not a match. They are more interested in a low-ball price than quality.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Im with you on that one Lee i dont do bids

But heres a good one that happened a number of years ago...i was at a show and a lady came up to me to show me an engraving job that another engraver did for her that was really bad the pheasant looked like woody woodpecker she wanted me to fix it and I said she should have that engraver fix it Her tearful response was..but he will charge me more money to do this..i then said well what do you think i will not charge you and fix it for free? :confused::confused:...DUHhhhhh

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Had a "gentleman" ask me for a bid on engraving a Remington 870 in English scroll, so I gave him one. His reply "....for that price are you going to engrave the entire barrel too?" Told him not to bother me any more.

Latest posts

Sponsors