Woo Hoo !!!!!!!

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Just scored a burl handle Steve Lindsay palm control graver with 9 carbalt and 3 hss gravers and regulator ........ And I'll receive it in time for my classes with JJ this weekend.

Woo Hoo !!!!!!!

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
It was and you are sooooo right

I was eyeballing that... but I have a couple already and decided to let this one go! Now keep your eyes open for a tungsten piston to go along with it! I noticed that also came with some of the quick change adapters... I'll be curious to see what you think of those!

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I was eyeballing that... but I have a couple already and decided to let this one go! Now keep your eyes open for a tungsten piston to go along with it! I noticed that also came with some of the quick change adapters... I'll be curious to see what you think of those!

It's all new to me Mike ......... Don't know how I'll like the adapters.

I was eyeballing it since it was posted. I'm really glad you let it go but I was prepared to go a bunch higher cause I really wanted it.

Thanks for letting it pass

I ordered a regulator to use on a canister today too. I may get the tungsten piston after I get fully into it.

Last edited:

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
It's all new to me Mike ......... Don't know how I'll like the adapters.

I was eyeballing it since it was posted. I'm really glad you let it go but I was prepared to go a bunch higher cause I really wanted it.

Thanks for letting it pass

I ordered a regulator to use on a canister today too. I may get the tungsten piston after I get fully into it.

I have not found much use for the tungsten piston yet... it gives you more power for bigger stuff, but for me, at my skill level it just makes it so I break the tips off the gravers more easily. It has MORE than enough power for cutting steel without it. I am curious to see if you come to the same conclusion as I did regarding the adapters.

The CO2 option is pretty cool, I picked up several paint ball tanks for use with it, but I generally use compressed air, the CO2 will be used if I ever do shows or something in the future. I already have a big 50 pound tank of Co2 to fill from because we use it in various applications around the shop so it was a no brainer.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mike ........ That's good to know. Probably will get the tungsten piston when I need it. I just like the idea of being portable so I could do some stuff at friends places.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
There's a novel idea to get around the FFL - until you are sure you need one...

Just take your portable rig and go move in with the client?

Make sure he/she knows how to cook well beforehand. A well stocked wine cellar might make your work look even better?

B.

Last edited:

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
She would have to come with more money than my present girlfriend as well as the others things you mentioned.

..... But then again ....... I don't need another place to live ............ and Girlfriends are like Grandkids .......... love em .... enjoy em and send em back home. LOL

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
My dream of a portable setup was a bit naive... I don't work well with a optivisor, I prefer a scope... and with a scope, ya gotta have a turntable stand... and unless I sharpen a ton of gravers in advance, then a sharpening setup needs to travel as well... So the CO2, while handy... is the least of the dunnage required to engrave "on location"... Now I just happen to HAVE a spare scope... and turntable... and ball vise... and bench stones and everything required to travel... but... I kinda lack the talent to go out and charge complete strangers to molest their precious articles just yet... And by the time I'm good enough... I'll be too old to carry it all.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I know what you mean. However, I have a spare ball, a microscope that is totally portable that will display on a monitor instantly and the Lindsay sharpeners with all of the diamond stone.

Just need the talent that I don't think I'll ever get good enough to be a professional. I just plan to be a metal scratcher

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
I know what you mean. However, I have a spare ball, a microscope that is totally portable that will display on a monitor instantly and the Lindsay sharpeners with all of the diamond stone.

Just need the talent that I don't think I'll ever get good enough to be a professional. I just plan to be a metal scratcher

If you're talking about one of those digital microscopes that are not stereo, yeah... good luck with that! Unless it's a trinoc and you're optically viewing, there's latency as well as no way of really seeing depth of cut... I tried engraving using one once... ONCE...

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your insight .......... I have the stereo microscope too ...... Actually 3 of them. So far this little digital doesn't seem to have lag and shows depth from what I can see but I'll really find out when I play with it. I'm working on converting a drill press to an engravers ball stand and then I'll really see. It's just something to experiment with.