Question: Duracoat

Mark Knapp

Has anyone try to use the DuraCoat stuff. I'm just wondering how it turns out if it's as easy as its advertised

I have used Duracoat. I put it on a kind of production line of my knives, I have over a hundred of them out, some for five years and have not had any complaints. It is much easier to use than Cericoat, though many people feel it is not as durable.

jiwilliams

Duracoat is pretty easy with proper surface prep. I've done a number of firearms and for me the key was to degrease and lightly roughen the surface by lightly blasting first with silicone carbide. Don't bead blast with glass as that peens the surface, the silicone carbide cuts into the surface and gives excellent adhesion. It goes on evenly, dries quickly and doesn't build up to the point where you have difficulty with mated surfaces. I've always heated my items to 125-130 for 30 minutes after coating to accelerate the curing.

paintedman

Ive been a firearms manufacture and firearms refinisher for the past 20 years or so. The Down fall of Duracoat is it is chemical sensitive . Now when some one brings in a abortion they did we just drop the metal parts in a acetone bath n rinse it off 24-48 hrs latter. As with any process prep is the key to successes . we usualy bring the gun up to 125ish then submerge in accatone bath this causes things to expand and helps the acetone get where oil is hiding . Discovered this trick when we started using moly kg gun coat 2400 series bakes on at 350 in your oven and will only come off if sand blasted ( did a mil contract for camera mounts in iraq it was the only thing they found would hold up to the sand) do your self a favor and look at it im currently clear coating engraved blued guns with it allows for the cuts to stay bright without rusting and we use it with a hypodermic needle to do flood fills on logos letters and manufacturers marks http://www.kgcoatings.com/products/firearm-related-products/2400-series-gun-kote

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
So if I'm understanding everyone this stuff is fairly easy to use it won't fill up the Engraving how close does it look to a factory hot blue Bluing. I'd like to thank everyone who responded to me the clear coat that looks pretty cool too Painted Man. Skill comes from diligence.

Mark Knapp

So if I'm understanding everyone this stuff is fairly easy to use it won't fill up the Engraving how close does it look to a factory hot blue Bluing. I'd like to thank everyone who responded to me the clear coat that looks pretty cool too Painted Man. Skill comes from diligence.

I personally don't think it looks like real blueing, there's a difference in the luster.

paintedman

Not quite the same thing as above saved its not quite the same luster, kinda looks off .. Moly Kg also makes A blued ,stainless ect and the blue looks a lot better in my opinion . Nothing out there ive seen matches the real colt royal blu in my eyes one thing i learnend when using moly kg is shotguns are to be avoided if soldered barrels the melt temp could leave ya in peices Nothing like a late night relearning silver soldier tecqniqes on a AOW 12 gauge ...did that 15 years ago

Latest posts

Sponsors