Learning and teaching.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
We're NOT all the same Mark... life would be pretty boring without a surprise now and again. Pleasant OR unpleasant...

Some of us work at being semi-pro a**holes as a hobby. Keeps things lively. Sometimes it even causes people to think?

I'm one of them. Roll the dice... see what you get?

This time you get advised to pick up a pencil. Next time, who knows? ;)

B.

Mark Knapp

Here's the thing, any intelligent person ( I think we, all here, are) can make their point without being mean about it. Be brutally honest, but be nice. None of us have to think very hard to say something mean. If we all just take a little more time to say what we need to say in a nice way things will be better. Mnavarro, the novice that I think was treated poorly in my thread "update on my floor plate" had posted 16 times when he posted in my thread, I wonder if he will ever give his opinion here again. No one should be afraid to show their stuff or give their opinion.

Is this only going to be a place where well established engravers come while the vast majority of novices stay behind the scenes? I hope not.

I think that Thierry probably never meant to belittle anyone, but the fact is, he did.

I try to be nice when ever I converse with others, It would be nice if everyone else did too.

Again, thanks to everyone who has helped me with my project, I appreciate it.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is an internet forum and it's not perfect.
You can't read the look in someone's eyes like you do in person and it's quite easy to take things differently than you would in person. You HAVE to take that into account.
You also have to have to be resilient and have a reasonably thick skin.
There are no snowflake safe places here.
Everyone here has gotten their feathers ruffled at some point. It's not a question of if it happens, but when it happens. Deal with it.
Newbies are absolutely welcome and encouraged.
If someone gets their feelings hurt and lurks and is afraid to post, then that's a shame, but life goes on.
Man-up, roll up your sleeves, and jump back in here. Pretty soon it'll all be forgotten.
As artists and creative people we are simply the quirkiest and weirdest bunch on the planet. We forgive and forget, then we knock each other in the head again.

Mark Knapp

This is an internet forum and it's not perfect.
You can't read the look in someone's eyes like you do in person and it's quite easy to take things differently than you would in person. You HAVE to take that into account.
You also have to have to be resilient and have a reasonably thick skin.
There are no snowflake safe places here.
Everyone here has gotten their feathers ruffled at some point. It's not a question of if it happens, but when it happens. Deal with it.
Newbies are absolutely welcome and encouraged.
If someone gets their feelings hurt and lurks and is afraid to post, then that's a shame, but life goes on.
Man-up, roll up your sleeves, and jump back in here. Pretty soon it'll all be forgotten.
As artists and creative people we are simply the quirkiest and weirdest bunch on the planet. We forgive and forget, then we knock each other in the head again.

What do you mean by that... "Man up":biggrin::) You calling me some kind of a girly man?:biggrin::) Not that there's anything wrong with a girly man.:biggrin: I'd be happy to be a girly man if I was a girly man, which I'm not.:biggrin: That's a joke. thanks for your help on my project.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since the topic of this thread is Learning and Teaching, I would like to point out that Thierry Duguet has gone out of his way to use his extensive background to be helpful and instructive. Not only has he posted many informative tips here at the Engravers Cafe but he has created about a dozen instructional videos on You Tube that are free of charge. I consider it a blessing that Thierry and numerous other world class engravers take their time and effort to be of assistance to we lesser (engraving) mortals. When I was a beginner, 40 years ago, I could not have conceived the opportunities made possible by this forum or some of the instructional materials available today. What it took some of us several years of groping in the darkness of isolation, one can now learn, with diligent application, in mere months.

My thanks to everyone who contributes to the body of knowledge about the engraving arts (whether they are tactful or not).

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I like the concept of what you (Mark) have tried to do. I think there are areas that need help. I am just an engraver trying to make a living, so my opinion is nothing compared to the elite engravers on this forum.
BUT!!!

If you had soloed in a Cessna and were now trying to pilot a jet, and the instuctor on the radio yelled "Pull back on the stick! You're too low!"

Would you be offended?

Mark Knapp

I like the concept of what you (Mark) have tried to do. I think there are areas that need help. I am just an engraver trying to make a living, so my opinion is nothing compared to the elite engravers on this forum.
BUT!!!

If you had soloed in a Cessna and were now trying to pilot a jet, and the instuctor on the radio yelled "Pull back on the stick! You're too low!"

Would you be offended?

No, 'course not. I have gotten lots of good constructive criticism here which I appreciate very much. That's the pull up the stick part. The part I had a problem with was not that.

What I said in my original post was "I am new at this, so if you would like to critique me please do it kindly" It is sometimes espoused that if you want to be critiqued you should be ready for whatever you get. I think that it is possible to critique someone without belittling them. That's what I try to do in my areas of expertise. In my opinion it is neither necessary nor productive to belittle people when you critique them.

I didn't even get the benefit of a critique from Thierry but I did get what I, and others here, took to be condescending and snarky comments. I'm sure that Thierry is a fine guy, I probably took his comments the wrong way.

I have been told that you have to have thick skin to come here, and I am OK with that. I don't understand it but I'm OK with it. It seems to me that any of us could find way to say what we want to say without.. blah, blah, blah.

I've said enough.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While I agree with you Mark, unfortunately ,critique is critique,Mild or otherwise. We all have made an effort at some point to ask for help or criticism,Make it clear which do you want. maybe easier to ask for help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors