Update on my floor plate

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
He did not give me constructive critique. If he had given me what you talk about in your post, I am a happy man. Thanks again.

PS, I am not necessarily looking for only free advise, I will take what free advise I can get and I will pay for what I need to.

Seems to me he asked what you were trying to achieve to better frame an answer. You have to admit your picture and you statements about it were pretty "loosey goosey". Do you want to try learn to do something right or do you want break every rule in the book and be happy in your ignorance? There are engravers who do it both ways and seem to be commercially successful so I would guess this is where Thierry was coming from. On your other complaint, just because someone is a member of this forum does not mean they are experts. I often tell my students that you could take a gun, give it a good polish job, then throw it back and forth across a gravel parking lot a dozen times and the take and it show it to ten people saying look at my engraving and at least nine of the ten would tell you how beautiful it is. Shiny jagged jiggly lines just seem to look alike to most people. Sad but true.

I guess given the expertise level, I think you should be FAR more grateful for Thierry's words than Mnavarro if your goal is to excel in this endeavor. Because he has tried to help you, and truly can, whereas Mnavarro just showed his lack of knowledge on the subject. Nothing wrong with being unknowledgeable , he is here to learn as we all had to do at one time.

Last edited:

Mark Knapp

Seems to me he asked what you were trying to achieve to better frame an answer. You have to admit your picture and you statements about it were pretty "loosey goosey". Do you want to try learn to do something right or do you want break every rule in the book and be happy in your ignorance? There are engravers who do it both ways and seem to be commercially successful so I would guess this is where Thierry was coming from. On your other complaint, just because someone is a member of this forum does not mean they are experts. I often tell my students that you could take a gun, give it a good polish job, then throw it back and forth across a gravel parking lot a dozen times and the take and it show it to ten people saying look at my engraving and at least nine of the ten would tell you how beautiful it is. Shiny jagged jiggly lines just seem to look alike to most people. Sad but true.

I guess given the expertise level, I think you should be FAR more grateful for Thierry's words than Mnavarro if your goal is to excel in this endeavor. Because he has tried to help you, and truly can, whereas Mnavarro just showed his lack of knowledge on the subject. Nothing wrong with being unknowledgeable , he is here to learn as we all had to do at one time.

I hate to keep flogging this thing, but I do not see where he was trying to help me, both of his posts seem snarky and flippant. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't owe me anything. I could have understood him better if in his first post he just asked "Do you want critique" I would have said yes I would like "constructive criticism" That's what I was trying to say in my original post. But only constructive criticism. It seems that sometimes criticism means anything goes.

In his second post where Mnavarro stated he was a novice but liked what he saw, Thierry could have said "Don't let an OPINION of a novice steer you in the wrong direction." or if he meant what he said as a joke he could have put a smiley face in there. In either case he did not offer up any advise to make me a better engraver. I used his second quote to answer the question in his first quote and said "not this".

It seems that this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. It's possible I totally misunderstood him as others here did, if I did than I am sorry about that. It's possible that people that know him were able to understand better how he meant his posts, I do not know him.

Just to be clear, I have no heart ache about this and I sure hope no one else does either. I am ready to let it go, actually I was ready to let it go three days ago.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for the people around here.

Thanks for listening Mark

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It seems people keep flogging the proverbial horse that's been dead a long time time. Don't you think it's time to move on?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Hell no! There's more fun to be had with this thread - and that dead horse!

Young Chuck moved to Montana and bought a horse from a farmer for $100.00.

The farmer agreed to deliver the horse the next day.

The next day he drove up and said, "Sorry, Son, but I have some bad news, the horse died."

Chuck replied, "Well, then just give me my money back."

The farmer said, "Can't do that. I went and spent it already."

Chuck said, "OK, then, just bring me the dead horse."

The farmer asked, "What ya gonna do with him?"

Chuck said, "I'm going to raffle him off."

The farmer said, "You can't raffle off a dead horse!"

Chuck said, "Sure I can. Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he's dead."

A month later, the farmer met up with Chuck and asked, "What happened with that dead horse?"

Chuck said, "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars apiece and made a net profit of $898.00."

The farmer said, "Didn't anyone complain?"

Chuck said, "Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back."

Chuck grew up and now works for the government.

B.

Last edited:

Mark Knapp

Hell no! There's more fun to be had with this thread - and that dead horse!

Young Chuck moved to Montana and bought a horse from a farmer for $100.00.

The farmer agreed to deliver the horse the next day.

The next day he drove up and said, "Sorry, Son, but I have some bad news, the horse died."

Chuck replied, "Well, then just give me my money back."

The farmer said, "Can't do that. I went and spent it already."

Chuck said, "OK, then, just bring me the dead horse."

The farmer asked, "What ya gonna do with him?"

Chuck said, "I'm going to raffle him off."

The farmer said, "You can't raffle off a dead horse!"

Chuck said, "Sure I can. Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he's dead."

A month later, the farmer met up with Chuck and asked, "What happened with that dead horse?"

Chuck said, "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars apiece and made a net profit of $898.00."

The farmer said, "Didn't anyone complain?"

Chuck said, "Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back."

Chuck grew up and now works for the government.

B.

That's pretty funny, I'm going to raffle off my floor plate. $2.00 a ticket. When the winner sees the floor plate I will give his money back. Who wants a ticket?

Sponsors