Anyone been watching the trends? Made for the masses...

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
A wedding ring... a metaphor for endless love... Now available in Rubber, Gold Plated base metal and genuine Zircons!

I'll never forget when Cubic Ziconia started showing up on the Jewelry Scene back in the 1970's... the slogan was... "It's NOT a fake Diamond... it's a REAL cubic zirconia!"

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
I wear a silicone wedding band at work because metal is not allowed.
I could just not wear one, but my wife bought it for me to wear. So.....

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
are EMTs and emergency rooms equipped to remove tungsten carbide rings?

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah, my gold wedding ring gets hacked up mercilessly at work. The UPS and FedEx guys all wear the silicone rings and I'm about to get one too. When you've had the skin peeled back a few times on your ring finger from the metal ring getting caught on something you'll see the wisdom in wearing something softer....

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Think about it...

1. There is no intrinsic value in these products as there once was in precious metals...

2. Highly skilled artisans & hand labor are "virtually" eliminated.

3. There appears to be a shrinking market for ring engraving?

4. The luxury jewelry industry no longer has the advertising (educational? propaganda?) clout it once had.

5. Our world is changing - quickly. Take notice.

Yes, I CAN see the uses of silicone for safety - as well as to match the color of your fingernails, eyes, your outfit or your shoes.
(The latter was done with colored stones in the past)

If you look around you will also see "wedding rings" tattooed on, more and more - here of late...

B.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
We have nephews and friends that have tungsten and titanium wedding rings. I think much of it is the cool factor and of course the price. But like you say, there's zero value.

Yep, the world is changing. I'm still getting plenty of requests for ring engraving though.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
are EMTs and emergency rooms equipped to remove tungsten carbide rings?

I've wondered that too, Mitch. No way you're going to quickly saw off a tungsten ring. Maybe there's a ring crusher or breaker or something?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have a plasma torch. that would remove not only the ring, but the guilty finger. as for sillycone, aroud here they have all but replaced the time-honored metal bracelets. i guess the stuff would be a bugger to engrave.
what's next, silly putty belt buckles?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I worked in the jewelry store, we used to sell all the modern material wb's. I used to joke about the ceramic bands..."the band of choice when you know it wont last"

Seriously though on the tungsten bands, they are much like our gravers in that the material isn't very shatter resistant. Under compression they will shatter, so if someone is injured the best way to get it off is to shatter it in a set of vice jaws. There are also diamond coated safety blades that can be bought to remove these rings. As for shattering, it has been known that sudden impacts have shattered bands on customer fingers.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Think about it...

1. There is no intrinsic value in these products as there once was in precious metals...

2. Highly skilled artisans & hand labor are "virtually" eliminated.

3. There appears to be a shrinking market for ring engraving?

4. The jewelry industry no longer has the advertising (educational? propaganda?) clout it once had.

5. Our world is changing - quickly. Take notice.

Yes, I CAN see the uses of silicone for safety - as well as to match the color of your eyes, your outfit or your shoes.
(The latter was done with colored stones in the past)

If you look around you will also see "wedding rings" tattooed on, more and more - here of late...

B.

Hummm, think about it, is there that much difference between using template and pre-design patterns for engraving and the cheap things which are now made for mass production. The purpose is the same create a product as cheaply as possible with the least amount of effort and knowledge. God bless the one percenters they keep us busy, lol.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott,congratulations. I wish you much happiness. If you bring your lovely bride to the LV show I promise to only tell good stories about you even if I have to make some up:biggrin:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's my congratulations also Scott. Question: How are you going to keep her away from all the weirdos that show up for your Engrave-In at the next event? She may think that we're a bad influence on you. (Although we all know that the reverse is probably more accurate.) Still, we don't want to scare her away!

Latest posts

Sponsors