Question: Any interest in a press workshop?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I have 2 people interested in a press workshop to be held in Stockton, CA during December or January.

These 2 persons already have particular goals in mind - namely making parts to be used in Western silversmithing.

Buckles, loops, tips, conchos and other silver products to be assembled and engraved in the Western style.

BUT - these techniques are applicable to far more than just Western silver products.

Blanking sheet metal parts alone can save you a ton of time...

We'll make make 4 functional dies for Western silver (more if you are quick) - forming, blanking, bending/folding and a border punch - plus sample dies or demos for various other purposes.

I'd need to add a couple more people in order to put it on.

Cost will be $650 for the 3 days - dates yet to be determined.

You furnish your own silver sheet. All other materials will be furnished here - you'll take your dies home, plus printed notes.

Brian

instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
May follow the press workshop with a day on tips & tricks for assembly/soldering and making fixtures to hold the work in place?

Or even a Western engraving workshop to finish off what was made earlier?

All will depend on interest... and getting dates that work for the majority who do express an interest.

B.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, Roger...

Camera setup, computer & monitor are in the upstairs apprentices shop.

Can't easily move them around to the the other two shops for the die making, presswork and hot benches...

Been thinking about a way to get around this, but we're set up in 3 different rooms.

Long ways from convenient.

B.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Oh man, now that would be a workshop I'd like to attend...

As of computers and cameras, it can't be that hard, can it? 100$ laptop and enough cable to get to the internet router (or wifi repeater, or whatever). Cameras are usually very portable. Unless you have Betamax...

Then install OBS (open broadcast system) and do the hip Facebook Live thingy :)

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Vilts!

I'd completely forgotten that you've been here and seen the shops...

There are a coupla little problems with doing this particular kind of workshop on live video.

First one is that you don't get to take any dies home with you, second - you can't saw your fingers & bleed on my bench pins, and third - I can't thump you with a stick for repeating the same mistake twice... ;)

It would be several days of pretty boring demos accompanied by my more than boring monologues.

I would think that a video of this kind of technique would be better recorded and edited down to a few hours? All those hours of drilling, sawing, filing, and the inevitable embarrassing mistakes that I always make could be removed.

I could even wear a tie? (never mind, that will NEVER happen)

However, now that you have reminded me of what I actually have in the way of equipment - it is time to put it to some use.

Watch for a PM and let's see where this might go.

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, we have 5 people interested in the January press workshop to be held in Stockton, CA.

Gonna be a great group! One space left. Anyone interested in that last bench space please contact me.

Next step is work out the dates and make sure that we still have 5...?

The two options at the moment are: Jan. 20, 21, 22 or Jan. 27, 28, 29

We will be using 2 Bonny Doons, a Potter and a couple arbor presses. (and if I can borrow the one I sold back, a screw press)

All materials (excepting silver sheet) will be supplied. There will be a printed notebook included.

You will leave with the dies you make. (the quicker you are, the more you'll have)

We will cover embossing, forming (single & 2 piece), blanking & bending/folding dies.

I will be contacting everyone off the forum with more details.

The second (1 day - maybe 2 days?) workshop (which would follow the first) on putting all the parts together has only 2 interested so far. I need a couple more people to put it together.

Fixturing & soldering - findings, twisted wire rope edges, sheet & cast overlays, hollow objects and about 100 tips and tricks that you are not gonna find or see in books or youtube videos.

Brian

instructor@jewelryartshcool.com

docmike

Hi Brian, I would love to attend workshop if you have a space. How do I get in touch with you.
Thank You
Mike

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I will PM you as soon as I finish this post - you will be the last one in.

So, OK, the press workshop is now full - as long as the dates still work for everyone?

We are choosing the Jan. 27, 28, 29 dates because a couple people are going to the FEGA show on the earlier dates.

It also looks like we have at least 3 people for the workshop after the press workshop - on putting all the parts together.

That would happen on the 30th & 31st. I will reduce the cost a bit for those who come for both.

Now starts the part that no one ever sees... putting together the materials kits & tools, making sure that ALL of the equipment is in working order. Setting up the hot benches for soldering/brazing. Clearing about half of the classroom - because this workshop is gonna require quite a bit of walking around between the benches and the presses. Putting together and printing entirely new sets of notes for each participant.

All other communication will be by PM or emails off of the forum.

Thank you all for your interest and support. I will do my best to make this a "memorable" event!

Brian
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

I will take images of this workshop (or get someone to) and (for the first time ever) post a few of them to the forum.

Last edited:

Brian S.

Brian. I am interested. Has the spot been filled? If so will you please let me know of any other cancellations?

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
A formed blank for a ranger buckle as in a three piece set. I have looked at the press on Reo Grand but 3 grand is a lot spend for me to make one for myself. I'm not into buckles but would like to make one. I think they are to be 18 gauge for a hollow one. I just got set up to do silver soldering.

Latest posts

Sponsors