Aluminum Fender Stratocaster Pick Guard

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
A recent project... This is an Aluminum Fender Stratocaster Pick Guard, which I am just about done engraving.... I still have some details to finish on the Bettie Page image, but I figure it's presentable enough to share at this point.

The Woman was engraved first, using the laser printer and acetone transfer method. The scrolls and vines and leaves were all drawn directly on the metal before incising.

The crosshatch background is loose and organic, I didn't want them to be too rigidly spaced, for me it makes it too sterile if they are like graph paper.

As usual, comments and criticism are very welcome, encouraged and of course, appreciated!

Attachments

• bettyPGsmall.jpg
    bettyPGsmall.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 265

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Nothin' like choosin' a "larger" than normal practice plate... Ya done good. Most would not attempt this kind of real estate early on!

(according to J.C. Randell - they are ALL just practice plates. And they are - when you stop and think about it.)

B.

Last edited:

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Nothin' like choosin' a "larger" than normal practice plate... Ya done good. Most would not attempt this kind of real estate early on!

(according to J.C. Randell - they are ALL just practice plates. And they are - when you stop and think about it.)

B.

Thanks Brian... I live by the rule of "no guts... no glory"... I've throughly altered my Rolex Submariner as well :) by turning a new, plain (not clicking), bezel on the lathe and engraving the case and bezel... That is some HARD HARD HARD stainless steel on that case!

EDIT: I'm glad I just posted that picture... it pointed out that I have a pin for the band in need of re-setting

Attachments

• subby.jpg
    subby.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my only criticism would be the lack of definition in the lady. you did say she will get more attention. so i think it will be very nice looking. given the size of the piece, i think the scroll and the leaf border is just about right. i trust you'll use some kind of clear coat or protectant to keep it free of oxidation and such. thanks for showing this, mike

monk

Staff member
what did you use to cut the rolex? geometry, etc.. you are, indeed, a brave one

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
my only criticism would be the lack of definition in the lady. you did say she will get more attention. so i think it will be very nice looking. given the size of the piece, i think the scroll and the leaf border is just about right. i trust you'll use some kind of clear coat or protectant to keep it free of oxidation and such. thanks for showing this, mike

I suspect I'll shoot some clear sealer of some description once it's done... and man, I agree about the lack of definition on the Bettie Page drawing... I still need to get some shape into her legs, her shoes and feet need detail, and her nose is visible only at certain angles... I need to get some more "dots" in there from other directions, I think.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
what did you use to cut the rolex? geometry, etc.. you are, indeed, a brave one

I used the Lindsay Universal 116 degree with a Lindsay HSS graver on a Palm Control, I ground it with a pretty short heel. I started with M42 but I kept snapping the tips. The Bezel is 316L stainless... I cut that with M42, same geometry. 316L is MUCH friendlier to cut than that 904L that Rolex uses.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Mike I think you need to do something with the background behind Betty.
That would make her stand out more.
Looks great though.
Hope the player plays as good as the pick guard looks.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Mike I think you need to do something with the background behind Betty.
That would make her stand out more.
Looks great though.
Hope the player plays as good as the pick guard looks.

That's really nice work Mike. Good flow and crisp lines. The Babes not bad either!

Thanks Van and Jonathan.... Van, at the moment there is no player for this pick guard... there isn't even a guitar! I decided to give pick guard engraving a try, and I bought only the guard. I'm still exploring what I might do with the background behind the Bettie, if anything. I agree she would pop a little better, but I'm at a loss as to what to do there, and I sort of thought that the negative space would make her stand out, which it clearly doesn't. Some kind of a sunburst or something might work... I'm at a loss for the time being, and if I'm being honest, I'm a little tired of looking at it!

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I would probably put something simple in that background so as to not conflict/compete with the lady...maybe just simple shading to darken the area.

Doing such a project is much more fun than a square practice plate that ends up in a drawer. Well done Mike!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you are tired of looking at it - and there is no one harassing you to get it done (or pay you!) - putting it out of sight for a week is a good thing.

Put it on your calendar (so's you don't forget) to take it out a week from now and you will see it with "fresh" eyes.

Another trick that I often use - is to look at a reflection of the piece in a mirror. That will enable you to "see" things in your patterns that you don't normally catch, because it reverses the image.

Keep a square of mirror at the back of your bench and use it often, especially when you are doing your original layout - before you start cutting.

B.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, Really nice work. Somewhere I have some decals with her and the rest of the glamor girls from the big war sent to my dad just after he shipped out for the Pacific-bad trip. The detail matches the forties slap girls perfectly. Fred

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Mike, good job on the pick guard.
Have you considered a light abrasive blast around the gal?
Done with Paasche type tool, 320 grit media and masked off with clear shipping tape.
A light inking in the color of your choice may or may not be added. ??????
Just a thought.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, good job on the pick guard.
Have you considered a light abrasive blast around the gal?
Done with Paasche type tool, 320 grit media and masked off with clear shipping tape.
A light inking in the color of your choice may or may not be added. ??????
Just a thought.

Good thought! I'll test that out on a scrap and see how it looks, it may be just what she needs!

Awesome work

Thanks Shawn... Your Video on shading opened my eyes to a lot of possibilities, and a compliment from you means so much to me!

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Looks really good. I might have rotated Bettie 90 degrees so she'd be in the right perspective when the guitar is actually being played but when the Strat is on a stand it'll be perfect!

Last edited:

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Looks really good. I might have rotated Bettie 90 degrees so she'd be in the right perspective when the guitar is actually being played but when the Strat is on a stand it'll be perfect!

I thought about that, but guitars spend more time on stands than they do in use, especially collectible or highly adorned ones... I asked several players which they would prefer, and they all voted for this orientation... But, I'm sure that if I asked enough people, it would probably level out at 50/50.

Latest posts

Sponsors