Question: Palm Concho order??

rossm10

Hello all you pros, I have a good customer that wants me to make his wife a palm concho......problem: I've never made one!! does anyone have any info that may help me get started?? I have a friend who is a great engraver give me some help, i.e. 1.5" long x 1" wide, each oval drawn down about 5/16" to form each side, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! Also what do some of you charge for them fully engraved??
Thanks in advance!!! Ross

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't even know what a "palm concho" is. so---- no pointers from me.

monk

Staff member
Okay, first - have you got or do you have access to a press? Have you ever made forming dies?

Neither is necessary, but it's a PITA to do without 'em...

Answer that, and I'll know which way to go with this.

B.
brian: tyvm, sir. i do have a home brewed press. i was just curious as to what they were. i get very little call for western items. if i ever do, i'll refer the person to this very forum.

monk

Staff member
ok, brian. i learn something new here, just about every day. tyvm for taking time to provide the information for all to learn from.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Are these only used with reins made for a romal, or are they used with standard split reins as well? I would like to see the mechanics of how they are made and fastened. Thanks.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Gail,
You would be defeating the purpose of the split reins by linking them together, but I have had to link them together for city slickers.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Dunno why Shawn hasn't seen this thread, but since he has shown some mighty fine looking braidwork connected up to some of his silver in the past - the odds are that that one was made for a braided pair?

There may be a slight difference in the innards between his and mine. I sometimes make 'em a little more complicated if I KNOW that it will be used for flat reins.

B.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Okay, you are already half way there - over someone who has to get by with simpler tools...

The first step is to figure out the dimensions of the oval that you will need. Depends on the reins - braided rounds or flat leather?

Measure them in position - side by side or overlapping.

Then proportion your oval, allowing for the curves of the doming.

Maybe make a model out of modeling clay and carve the slot into the clay to see and feel where you are going to be going? I find myself using modeling clay fairly often in planning projects like this.

Then make an experimental oval concho forming die, but DEEPER than if it would be for a concho.

Don't use plexi for the dies - use acrylic. Plexi tends to shatter at the most inopportune moment...

You may have to press and anneal and press again to get the depth you'll need.

Where is Shawn? He should be stepping in here somewhere too?

B.

Latest posts

Sponsors