what to patina gold with

soulpieces

Hi, new to this board and engraving. Was wondering best thing to use to patina gold and silver that stays in the lines the best after polishing and cleaning, used liver of sulfur on silver still doesn't stay I places that well. Trying rustoleum stain works but wasn't sure if there was something better or best way to get the excess off . Thank

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Describe what it is that you are working on a bit better?

Do you want a real patina (by definition) or just blackening? Something irremovable or something that can be removed with solvents?

Type of "silver"? (You will have trouble doing much with Argentium chemically for example)

Karat and color of gold?

Brian

Silver can be blackened (oxidized) by a variety of Commercial products.Gold of carates lower than 14K ,depending of alloy composition, by platinumchloride (expensive).Something I never tried ,that possibly works on all gold alloys ,may be so called Black Rhodium(electrodeposited,very expensive).

soulpieces

Describe what it is that you are working on a bit better?

Do you want a real patina (by definition) or just blackening? Something irremovable or something that can be removed with solvents?

Type of "silver"? (You will have trouble doing much with Argentium chemically for example)

Karat and color of gold?

I
Brian

Using silver now but but wondering what they use on the gold that st a us on that is in expensive the rustoleum looks pretty good and stays havnt seen how Waterrible effects it tho

Latest posts

Sponsors