Announcement: Major earthquake in New Zealand

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Good morning fellow members.
We woke up this morning to the news of a major earthquake in New Zealand.
Andrew Biggs, one of our moderators and several other Cafe members are Kiwis.
Lets all say a prayer and/or keep a good thought for them. their family and property.

Last edited:

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
That is a very sad news, I hope everybody who live there are fine.

May God protect them

Andrew Biggs

Hi everyone

All is good thank you. It appears that in the light of day that there were two earthquakes back to back.

It stuck just after midnight north of Christchurch where we live in and the aftershocks are all rolling through as you would expect.

The tsunami alert has been downgraded although there are warnings still in place along the east coast.

In the light of day people are checking for damage and there are reports of major slips along the eastern roads .

It appears that smaller places have copped it the most in Kaikoura and Hamner Springs both an hour to two hour drive north from Christchurch. So far there have been reports of two lives lost.

Cheers
Andrew

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks for checking in Andrew.
Both here and privately.
My apologies to Andrew and all Cafe members if I started a near panic.
But as usual our dear media got it all wrong and reported major damage, 7.8 quake with major tsunamis expected.
And that is what I went on. As is it's bad enough without any exaggeration needed.

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for checking in Andrew.
Both here and privately.
My apologies to Andrew and all Cafe members if I started a near panic.
But as usual our dear media got it all wrong and reported major damage, 7.8 quake with major tsunamis expected.
And that is what I went on. As is it's bad enough without any exaggeration needed.

Not at all John, your announcement was great to inform us of our friends we should be aware of other members, I do appreciate your work, thanks.

Andrew Biggs

Hey John

No worries at all....it was big and it was long and it woke us up with a start. The news media have got it right. The trouble is that it was in the middle of the night here which compounds the problem. In the cold light of day things are not so bad. Thank goodness.

Fortunately a cup of tea and a couple of chocolate biscuits help :)

You guys in the USA get a whole lot worse with your fires, floods, tornadoes and hurricanes every year.

Mary and I really appreciate all the kind thoughts and emails. It's good to have such good friends :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
thankfull you and you family are ok. good news coming out of bad. i experienced a couple 3 pointers while in the miilitary. sort of wished i had a couple of diapers !

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
lucky it was a deep one, 23 miles the earthquake site reports. That damps things a bit now but damage to the sub-centennial structure is an issue for the future, I watch the earthquake lady. There were 16 around and under the South Island the 24 hours previous to this one. Lucky it was deep and all is relatively well. Fred

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Glad all is as well as it can be. Like others said, with quakes, the deeper the better... Shallow quakes do way more damage.

Sponsors