My first stab at Hobo Nickels

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
About a month ago I engraved these, just to play with the idea. These are a first attempt... the material cuts like butter! Comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4997.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 189

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
both hair doos are quite nice. i'd not sign or put my mark over the date. even if worn away,

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
both hair doos are quite nice. i'd not sign or put my mark over the date. even if worn away,

Is there a specific reason for not marking where the completely worn off date once was? Some etiquette or something like that?

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
Is there a specific reason for not marking where the completely worn off date once was? Some etiquette or something like that?

of the many i have looked at that were signed, the mark never appeared over the date area. if the coin was in really good shape, the value would be reduced by marking in the date area. probably one of those "unwritten rules, mike. do you use a scope doing your hobos?

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
of the many i have looked at that were signed, the mark never appeared over the date area. if the coin was in really good shape, the value would be reduced by marking in the date area. probably one of those "unwritten rules, mike. do you use a scope doing your hobos?

My vision is so bad, I use a scope for EVERYTHING! So, I appreciate the input about the date area, on these coins that I have, the date isn't really present at all... A collector friend of mine gave them to me and said... "Here... engrave these, doesn't matter if they get messed up, they're only worth a nickel". I kind of figured that the 5 cent marking in its place was pretty whimsical, but I don't want to do anything that is a "taboo" in the field, so I'll probably refrain from that if the date is in ANY way visible.

monk

Staff member
My vision is so bad, I use a scope for EVERYTHING! So, I appreciate the input about the date area, on these coins that I have, the date isn't really present at all... A collector friend of mine gave them to me and said... "Here... engrave these, doesn't matter if they get messed up, they're only worth a nickel". I kind of figured that the 5 cent marking in its place was pretty whimsical, but I don't want to do anything that is a "taboo" in the field, so I'll probably refrain from that if the date is in ANY way visible.

even when my vision was good, i cant imagine doing a hobo without a scope. i first began doing them with an optivisor. the forum members sort of influenced me to buy a scope. as far as the "nickel value" of what you do, that's baloney. perhaps not world class work, but worth far more than 5 cents.

Last edited:

Sponsors