Critique Request Diving head first into bulino

EThomas

With the help of Meek's engraving bible, I've been teaching myself hand push and chasing for about two years. I've always been fascinated by bulino, but I haven't had much luck finding a lot of information about how to do it. A few months ago, I came on a rough sketch of how to shape a graver for bulino, so I fashioned one accordingly. I still didn't really know how to do it or how to practice, so I kind of skipped the practice part and jumped right into it.

That being said, I'd very much appreciate any feedback on this first piece that I did. I knew going into it that the building could probably be better done with other techniques, but my goal was bulino dot, so I stuck to that in this instance.

Again, any critique to help improve is heartily welcomed, specifically on the scene, but I'm open to advice with my scrollwork as well. On an off note, I don't think inlaying into copper is something I'm in a hurry to do again any time soon. ;)

Attachments

• TemplePlate2.jpg
    TemplePlate2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 315
  • TemplePlate1.jpg
    TemplePlate1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 313

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I'm quite impressed with your work. You've been cutting for two years ? The only problem I see is your oval border has a slight flat spot at about 11 o'clock. What size is that item and , did you work over an transfer image ? Thanks for posting.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ok, maybe a bit short of "museum quality", but very nice. with a store-bought sharpening system, one can achieve that "perfect" geometry. not only bulino, but any other technique. the meeks book, launched quite a number of engravers into a life-long passion that also proved to be quite profitable. let us hope you wll do that too.

EThomas

I have not yet. I know he lives near here, and I'd love to meet him and possibly receive some guidance, I just don't know how best to approach that.

EThomas

Thank you. The border has a few small kicks, some better concealed than others. The diamond is roughly 8" across, so the scene is about 5"x3" odd. I sketched in the outlines of the hills and trees, and then free-handed the details working from a reference photo.

EThomas

Indeed, a sharpening system is one of the things on my list. So far I've been sharpening all my gravers by hand and guessing at the angles, and sometimes I end up having to go back and redo them a little. Perhaps there's a system you might recommend for a beginner with a little bit of a budget?

Sponsors