Watch engraving

rooant

Hi there,

I'm an engraver in London, UK. I usually do jewellery engraving, seals, etc but recently I have received a couple of requests for engraving watches (Piguet, Rolex, etc.).

As I see from Instagram there seems to be increasing demand for this and I'd like to know if anyone can advise what to charge (pounds or dollars)

I only ask because I don't want to be too greedy and price myself out, nor do I want to undercut the market and diminish the reputation of our fine craft.

I'm working on a couple of samples but obviously these will take longer than the norm once I've got my eye in.

Can anyone give me a rough guide re. cost?

Also, do you charge separately for design/drawings?

thanks so much

Ruth

rooant

Or another way of putting it... how many hours should I budget to complete, say for example, a scroll design watch strap, back and sides.... that way I can work out a rate based on my own hourly rate if people are not keen to divulge costs.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Buy several GOOD, CHEAP ,used watches off of Fleabay. Design, cut and time the whole nine yards. Figure out what you have to have and go from there. I would contact Joann Ryall (Artemiss) on here and pick her brain. She is also on IG.
Unless you are a whiz at designing and cutting you will not be able to command the kind of prices that the top hands get. Therefore just figure out what you need and raise your prices as demand for your work increases.

rooant

Hi atexascowboy

thanks for your reply YEs I have already started that part with the practising.

The problem with quoting prices at a lower level because one has less experience is that it is hard to put prices up once customers get used to paying a lower rate. I've experienced this first hand with my trade work.

So I'd rather practice first and start, if not at the top, then at least damn close to it. I don't expect to command the highest rates as I am not going to exclusively devote my trade to this, but my questions about over/under valuing a market are still pertinent.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Hi atexascowboy

thanks for your reply YEs I have already started that part with the practising.

The problem with quoting prices at a lower level because one has less experience is that it is hard to put prices up once customers get used to paying a lower rate. I've experienced this first hand with my trade work.

So I'd rather practice first and start, if not at the top, then at least damn close to it. I don't expect to command the highest rates as I am not going to exclusively devote my trade to this, but my questions about over/under valuing a market are still pertinent.

Or, use the "Barber" method. Customer asks how much the haircut will be. Barber looks customer carefully in the face:

<Looking at customer> Basic haircut is $25.... (looking) Done in the old style with ceramic Scissors is $10 extra, but creates a nice look that lasts and is a great value.... (still looking) Eyebrow trim to pull it all together, $5.... (still looking)

(Customer Suddenly Blinks)

"Great! Clearly you're a man of subtle but discerning taste. So, to answer your question, the haircut will cost you $40, and I hope you'll let me use my skills to make yours one of a kind. Later, we'll talk about how to take care of it to make it last and give it even more value."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors