Critique Request Third attempt to engrave "Enlish Fine Scroll".

Third attempt to engrave "Enlish Fine Scroll" after studying Marcus Hunt book on the subjekt. Marcus writes that one should continue to practice until it feels as natural to engrave a scroll as it is to write with a pen. I still have a long way to go. The knife is a cheap on from China, feel not ready to engrave on real stuff.

Attachments

• English-Fine-Scroll-2016110.jpg
    English-Fine-Scroll-2016110.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 260
Thanks.
Discovered now that the scroll area on the right side is not good, the scrolls are growing out from the startingscroll in the wrong direction, they go in the same direction as the startingscroll, they should go in the opposite direction. It may be wrong sometimes when tou engrave without a sketch.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I am sorry to have to tell you that your scrolls around the starting/mother scrolls are going the wrong way, if one is ging clockwise the other need to go counterclockwise. On the positive I like the drawing of the scrolls themselves even so they look more Belgium or Italian than English which are usually a little more elongated. I think that the aspect of this work you need to work the most on are the bouquet, they need to stand up better, being so pale they do not attract the eye as they should, shading around the rose would help and darker shading overall would be a plus as it would help the piece to look less flat. One last thing the little thing you do around the scroll pattern and bouquet, they are call epitures in French I do not know in English, they can be a little more diverse and more flowing.
My posting may seem a little negative but I have the sense that you are not looking for useless compliments, if your attempt was not so good I would not have taken the time to criticize it in so much detail so, please, take it as a compliment for your current achievement.

Thierry Thank you for taking the time to comment on my engraving it helps me a lot in my practice is to try to get better. Sure, the scroll area is growing in the wrong direction, shorting im my brain when I engraved it. I agree with my bouquets they are litte flat and boring. When I look at the bouquets you engrave it's much more life in them, they catch the eye in a completely different way. I get to work my way to do shading, and I am not satisfied with the roses. I will return with my fourth attempt, and hope to publisera it about 1-2 weeks. My goal is to be a little better than this. Thierry, I hope you take the time to when I commented publishes my fourth attempt, I would appreciate it very much.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry Thank you for taking the time to comment on my engraving it helps me a lot in my practice is to try to get better. Sure, the scroll area is growing in the wrong direction, shorting im my brain when I engraved it. I agree with my bouquets they are litte flat and boring. When I look at the bouquets you engrave it's much more life in them, they catch the eye in a completely different way. I get to work my way to do shading, and I am not satisfied with the roses. I will return with my fourth attempt, and hope to publisera it about 1-2 weeks. My goal is to be a little better than this. Thierry, I hope you take the time to when I commented publishes my fourth attempt, I would appreciate it very much.

Hello Par. I am glad you took my comments so well, it is sometime difficult to know if people post their work seeking useless compliments or constructive criticisms, I am happy to see that you are the latter as it is the surest way to betterment, good luck, Enjoy!

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
looking good for a third try Pär
i think you are making wonderful progress, and thank you Thiery for the insight, it helps all of us here to learn little aspects of the trade that take a lifetime of experience to learn, it is comments like yours that help cut our learning curve by months if not years

Latest posts

Sponsors