Engraving Examples

take-down

Elite Cafe Member

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
take-down,I gooled Savage engravers and only found two engravers Joe Fugger & John Madole the only one who now is a gentleman by the name of Douglas P. Murray who wrote a book on the Savage model 99 I meet Doug at a gun show in Newberg N.Y. he had a beautiful display of Savage 99's on his table.Doug passed away but his widow still sells reprints of his book. J.J.

Last edited:

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks JJ
But were they done by them
Yes I have Doug Murray's book 2 of them as 1 is in tatters from reference use
I have a collection of 99's
But in New Zealand you don't get the same quality as the states because hunting is all year no seasons
So they are used like a tool

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The engraving and inlay was designed by Enoch Tue, who was Savage's chief engraver at the time the guns were made. Not much is known of Tue but I believe that he was a German immigrant, as were most gun engravers in America at the time.

Joe Fugger was an Austrian trained engraver a generation removed from the time of Tue. He originally worked for Rudolph Kornbrath in the 1940s and later for Griffin & Howe. The late John Madole was a freelance engraver a generation, in time, removed from Fugger.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
take-down,That a nice collection of Savage 99's is that display at a gun show?,I have a 99 in 303 take down. J.J.

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger
I had a handle on that
Interesting that you say designed by, as a savage collector I have seen pictures of Tue's work
But wonder if he designed and engraved these but somebody else had a hand in some of the others
It may be the quality of different photos but to my untrained eye I feel there is supple differences
Many thanks

Latest posts

Sponsors