How do you hold rings?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i just use this: make it with the wood grain running vertically for strength. in use, i look thru one side and engrave thru the other. a dab of "poster putty" can help with traction. it works fine, but engraving inside rings will never be my favorite thing to do...

Attachments

• DSCN0858.jpg
    DSCN0858.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN0857.jpg
    DSCN0857.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN0856.jpg
    DSCN0856.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN0855.jpg
    DSCN0855.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 311

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have and use both Dani. And I often omit the block part and clamp the collet and expander inside the vise jaws because I like my work as low and as close to the vise's mass as possible. I slide a small Allen wrench through them to keep them from falling inside the vise when I reposition.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
For $2 difference, go with the second one. It spreads the pressure more evenly.

If you can't justify spending the money just yet because you've only got one or two rings to cut - find a piece of wooden dowel rod about 1/2" diameter and maybe 1" long.

Drill an 1/8" hole through the center for a support rod of some kind to keep it from falling between the vise jaws. Like Sam, you can use an Allen wrench. I use what ever is closest to hand - graver blanks, drill rod, whatever...

Then build it up with your preferred medium - Thermoloc, Aquaplast or shellac - and while it's still warm embed your ring on it. Stick whatever you've chosen to support the dowel rod through the hole - set and tighten your vise jaws and go to work. Rotate as needed.

If you can scrounge up the piece of dowel from a cabinet shop or woodworker, you may be able to make this for free... and save the $69 for when you can spread the cost over a dozen rings.

Brian

Last edited:

Diacutter

I have and used both of the holders in your rio grande links. Sam's method also works very well if you use a larger vise. My favorite is the new Alexandre fixture

http://www.grstools.com/for-jewelry-work/ring-holders/003-782.html

I do a lot more stone setting than engraving, but LOVE this fixture. Yes its a little pricey but I use the micro ball for 95% of all my work. I actually have two micro balls, one set up with the ring holding attachment and one with out. It works well with my bench set up.

Dave

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i dislike doing rings, period! but i do have the first grs holder that you placed a link for. i do like the holder, just do not like workin on rings.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, given both holders are similar designs they would both work being pulled apart and suspended accross an allen key to be as low as possible wouldn't they?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam, given both holders are similar designs they would both work being pulled apart and suspended accross an allen key to be as low as possible wouldn't they?

Dani: I have more experience with clamping the solid ones more than the version with multi slots, so that would be my choice for clamping inside the vise. I'm not at home so I can't do a comparison for you.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I don't do rings but I do decorate brass and aluminum bands for duck calls. My "fixture", clamp or what ever you want to call it is a homemade set up, using a short piece of 1/4" thick flat stock that is a 3/4" wide. I have a set pf the needed sizes of Dorman expandable freeze plugs that fit the inside of each of the various bands. I remove the nut and bolt that comes with it and substitute one of these bike seats quick release levers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bicyc...61dd7e&pid=100338&rk=2&rkt=30&sd=271990983224

I adjust the lever to lock the band in place, and it only takes flipping the lever to release the band or tighten it. The expansion plug, lever is mounted to the scrap of flat steel. Less than $4 in each of the sizes I need.

It is not my ideas, I stole the set up from a musician that used this method to make decorative bands for some sort of horn, I did add the quick release tightening system.

On edit, the idea came from Rod Cameron. Here is a link to some of his pics. And I owe him an apology, he is a flute maker not a horn maker. https://plus.google.com/photos/118435916901863986567/album/5658767851180453617/5658768490603959074

Last edited:

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
I personally use setters shellac that I heat up and roll into a ball in the palm of my hand then insert in the ring and press flat to support the ring on the inside. Make sure the shellac is soft but not runny when you do this to avoid burning yourself. If it happens that you overheat the shellac and it burns to your skin quickly press and smear it across your skin. This will let it cool down much faster and avoid blistering burns. It takes a little practise to work safely with shellac, but for myself it is the best way to engrave and set rings.
The shellac fills the inside of the ring completely and prevents vibration when you engrave or set. You can drill holes through the metal into the shellac without worrying about damaging your expensive tool holders. I clamp the ring in my engravers vice using the Lindsay ring clamp inserts. To remove the shellac simply heat some shellac on the end of a dowel stick with a yellow flame and press it on one side of the shellac in the ring. You now have a ring on a stick. Now heat the ring with a yellow flame and when the shellac softens simply pull the ring off the shellac. You can put the ring in some paint thinners to dissolve the remaining shellac inside the ring (I do this in a small plastic container half filled with paint thinners in my ultrasonic cleaner in a well ventilated area). After removing the shellac you can clean off the thinners in your ultrasonic cleaner.

BLW

Hi Dani, I have the second one you posted it works great until you break the thread. I then modified my vice to take the holders

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Jan,

I've never used paint thinners for a shellac solvent? Is there some reason why you prefer it?

Simple denatured alcohol has always been my choice - from so far back (40+ years) that I have no idea where I learned it.

I drop 'em in a covered beaker with the alcohol and just leave 'em for later in the afternoon.

If I am in a hurry, a coupla minutes in a heated ultrasonic will do the trick...

B.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Jan,

I've never used paint thinners for a shellac solvent? Is there some reason why you prefer it?

Simple denatured alcohol has always been my choice - from so far back (40+ years) that I have no idea where I learned it.

I drop 'em in a covered beaker with the alcohol and just leave 'em for later in the afternoon.

If I am in a hurry, a coupla minutes in a heated ultrasonic will do the trick...

B.

I find that paint thinners works even faster than the alcohol method. In a production type setting workshop time is money!

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dani

I'm assuming that you will use it for engraving rings

The second link is the "new" ring holder and the better one to have. It's cheap, easy to use and versatile so that you can engrave any awkward shaped ring that comes across your bench.

I use it all the time.

Cheers
Andrew

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Andrew.

I took your advice and went for the second one. The video demonstrating using it I found and your appraisal set my mind at ease.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dani

No worries.

I use it with the hexagonal aluminium screw and not the wing nut because that can catch on your fingers.

The screws in the side of the base can be removed to drop it lower in the vise if needed.

Rings can be tricky to work on depending on the shape :)

Cheers
Andrew

Jkasal

I recently purchased the Alexandre micro ball vice from GRS and absolutely love it for holding and engraving rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew and thanks Jkasal. If I find myself doing a great deal of jewellery work I may upgrade to that model one day for the more troublesome engraving jobs, 90% of my work is knives but I have got some jewellery creeping in. Thanks Brian for the thermoloc/dowel tip, using it now on a current ring job :)

Latest posts

Sponsors