Have you made the drawing committment?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
IMG_8557.jpg

blackleaf_scrollwork.jpg

I don't know about you, but I never get tired of drawing. It's the most relaxing, challenging, and entertaining thing I can think of. And this is how you get there. :pencil:

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
The works are very nice. On Iranian works we also use flowers so do you use them in American style?

The following i a work by Ms NiktaShaghaghi an Iranian Miniaturist. I draw your kind attention to the flowers among the leafs.

Attachments

• 10931232_1546103405675883_3345954606557629130_n.jpg
    10931232_1546103405675883_3345954606557629130_n.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 658

Sam

Staff member
Nikta's work is fantastic Ali! The floral and leaf work is exquisite!

Sam

Staff member
Thank you Sam, Still I would be grateful if you inform me whether you use flowers in your drawings and engraving works.

I rarely use flowers in my work, and I'm probably missing some nice opportunities to use them.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Go look at Shawn Didyoung's work here on the forum.

Flowers of all kinds are pretty standard in "Western style" bright cut engraving.

If you spend a little time looking and studying that style - you will note that it's origins are from the silver ornaments used on "cowboy" saddlery which then spread to belt buckles, spurs, bits and jewelry. It is a bit different than the other engraving traditions.

Brian

Last edited:

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
I rarely use flowers in my work, and I'm probably missing some nice opportunities to use them.

Certainly Sam, since there are items which a combination of them will make a more beautiful result. For example the followings are some drawings we call them Eslimi drawings. They may be of interest to you which of course there are other very complicated ones which if you wish I can post them. ( these are not my works)

Attachments

• aslimy-nagsh 447.jpg
    aslimy-nagsh 447.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 635
  • khataii2 (1).jpg
    khataii2 (1).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 640
  • 600px-4.jpg
    600px-4.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 638
  • aslimy-nagsh 437.jpg
    aslimy-nagsh 437.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 630
  • aslimy-nagsh 380.jpg
    aslimy-nagsh 380.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 628

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I'm kind of zeroed in on lettering right now and have noticed that the better I get at drawing letters, the more improvement I see in my engraving... I still have many moons to go before I'd call myself proficient but the drawing is imperative to getting better with the graver.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam: somethins wrong. i do enjoy drawing-- but mine never seem to get even near the level of yours. maybe it's the water i drink.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Sadly (perhaps) I don't draw as much as i suspect I should. My drawing is mostly limited to specific orders and/or items that are needing to be completed. My dance card seems to be pretty much filled.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
does drawing a beer count? because i do that every day. often multiple times.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Does drawing knives count? I like designing the knife and drawing the engraving on it.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
I have started drawing a bit just for practise and to improve my design skills. I find it difficult to just start a scroll design on a blank piece of paper without having the direction of borders to follow as a guide. I find designing within the framework of a shape like knife bolsters or a floor plate much easier. I have a great deal of respect for Sam, Shawn and many others that simply grab a piece of paper and makes all kinds of magic happen on a blank piece of paper without pre determined borders to follow.

Sam

Staff member
Sam what hardness lead do you use for your drawings, what kind of penails etc.? Also what are your lineweights?

Generally softer leads like 2B, but I'll use whatever's within reach.
No idea what my lightweights are.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here's a book I would to share with you a student sent to me,Lessons in Classical Drawing by Juliette Aristides a wonderful book for the student.:thumbsup:J.J.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I've definitely realized the importance of drawing every day. I guess if the world of engraving was like music, and we had designers (song writers) and cutters (performers). Then you could focus on one or the other. But unless I am mistaken we are all singer/song writers and only as good as our own weakest link.

Dan

Latest posts

Sponsors