Question: open topic

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
is a replica an option?
not that i know anything about it.. but assume that it would be cheaper than the mcCoy?

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I am wondering if I had $400.00 dollars and wanted to engrave my first gun what could it be.:thinking:

A used, 100 or so years old English boxlock double shotgun with no prior engraving, or border only engraving purchased at a UK auction house. I realize that is very unusual but it is doable given the right license and patience waiting for the right opportunity and shipping . I have a couple myself . Shipping a single gun could get you over that sum by a bit though. Prices stateside are too high. I even have a FN sidelock headed my way that fits those criteria. One advantage of going through the hassle is the metal is almost certainly easier to cut and the guns better made than a cheap modern piece. The downside is spending time on both sides of the Atlantic with parties like ATF and Customs.
Just an unusual thought.
Jeremy

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't know if feasable, there are replica guns of many types. they are non-firing, and therefore aren't subject to many of the laws governing real guns. i suppose they are engraveable. i'd think a cheap alternative to use for demo purposes. 400 bucks might get you 2 or 3 of these.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
A used, 100 or so years old English boxlock double shotgun with no prior engraving, or border only engraving purchased at a UK auction house. I realize that is very unusual but it is doable given the right license and patience waiting for the right opportunity and shipping . I have a couple myself . Shipping a single gun could get you over that sum by a bit though. Prices stateside are too high. I even have a FN sidelock headed my way that fits those criteria. One advantage of going through the hassle is the metal is almost certainly easier to cut and the guns better made than a cheap modern piece. The downside is spending time on both sides of the Atlantic with parties like ATF and Customs.
Just an unusual thought.
Jeremy

this may be the ticket now i just have to find the right partys.
skill comes from diligance.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
You will need a "Curios and Relics " BATFE license.
Upon purchase from the auction house you will need to arrange transfer via a UK RFD to a RFD licensed exporter. The larger auction houses typically can provide this service within the UK; Holt's has particularly good service. Once at the exporter it will wait pending both a UK export permit and your BATFE form 6 import permits. Obtaining the latter is best done by doing your homework and providing supporting documents showing the age of the gun. References like Brown's volumes on British Gunmakers are helpful; do this research BEFORE purchase to be sure you can make a reasonable case on age. To keep it cheap you need to clear customs yourself. If you use a broker it will probably be easier but more expensive. That decision needs to be made when you apply for the ATF import permits. If clearing it yourself you'll also need a customs bond. As I say it is complex and takes several months but I think it's worth it. Then again I collect particular types of British shotguns so I am biased and used to the hassle.
Jeremy

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another option outfits like CDNN and several others sell used S&W ,Colt ,etc revolvers and pistols for under $400.Just some searching on the net or ask yourlocal dealer,they get fliers all the time. Good luck

Mark Knapp

I am wondering if I had $400.00 dollars and wanted to engrave my first gun what could it be.:thinking:

I often find guns for under $400.00 at gun shows. Mostly revolvers. Take your pick. I got a nice one for my wife, a .38 for $325 in new condition. Now, I just need to engrave on it for her. I will leave it to others here to advise you on which ones are best for engraving.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
If you really watch the gun auction boards, you'll find all sorts of Spanish, Belgium and Japanese shotguns from the 60's and 70's which are great starting canvas, and under $400. You could also look for older an american S/S like an old field grade LC Smith. Maybe an old Fox or Lefever nitro if you can find one. This way you're not only engraving, bur learning and metal prep/restoration. All good skills.

It depends if you're starting at $400 or all in at $400.

Dan

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
You will need a "Curios and Relics " BATFE license.
Upon purchase from the auction house you will need to arrange transfer via a UK RFD to a RFD licensed exporter. The larger auction houses typically can provide this service within the UK; Holt's has particularly good service. Once at the exporter it will wait pending both a UK export permit and your BATFE form 6 import permits. Obtaining the latter is best done by doing your homework and providing supporting documents showing the age of the gun. References like Brown's volumes on British Gunmakers are helpful; do this research BEFORE purchase to be sure you can make a reasonable case on age. To keep it cheap you need to clear customs yourself. If you use a broker it will probably be easier but more expensive. That decision needs to be made when you apply for the ATF import permits. If clearing it yourself you'll also need a customs bond. As I say it is complex and takes several months but I think it's worth it. Then again I collect particular types of British shotguns so I am biased and used to the hassle.
Jeremy

Actually if you are buying pre 1898 firearm like a Colt 1872 or 1878 you do not need a license they are antique.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Bulgarian Makarov, Star 9mm, Pietta 1851 Navy, etc....

The big thing I ran into when prepping a Pietta 1860 Army is the flat planes between parts don't transition smoothly and it needs A LOT of file work. Which I've never finished..... Same with a Makarov but not as bad and but it's a high quality firearm. I have a Star 9mm BM that wouldn't need much work on the frame but the slide needs time. It's great shooter.

Or double your budget, buy a S&W and start cutting.

John

Latest posts

Sponsors