Question: Hard stuff

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all I'm just wondering has anyone tried to engrave on a Kershaw flip knife. I've started to cut on one and I'm spending more time sharpening my tools then I do cutting I'm going to a 55 degree face on my 120 was 17 degree heal. Any ideas?:beatup:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi all I'm just wondering has anyone tried to engrave on a Kershaw flip knife. I've started to cut on one and I'm spending more time sharpening my tools then I do cutting I'm going to a 55 degree face on my 120 was 17 degree heal. Any ideas?:beatup:

Nubb the point of your graver and put a minute radius on the heel. A M-42 graver may work better than one of the carbide mixes.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I am not sure what a m-42 is? I don't have any problems rounding my points actually they look more like fractures hahaha. But I will give it a shot any advice on the rounding? Skill comes from diligence

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Are you cutting the bolsters or the blade? I have done lots of Kershaw bolsters with out any trouble using C-max gravers.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
I keep seeing people say "nub the point, or dub the point and radius the heel"... Can somebody show what that actually means, how to do it, drawings of the final geometry and such? It seems to be a solution that many use, I haven't seen a tutorial or an explanation that I can understand.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike
Hold the sharp graver vertical to the stone I use a 3000 grit one, then drag the graver across the stone about 3/8 in ,this dubbs the point.
Radis the heel swipe the graver heel section in a rotation motion across the stone, kind of rounds it

Last edited:

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
I too over the years, have engraved a number of Kershaw knives and while the scales are hard they seem to cut well with M42 and Carbalt. IMHO the M42 is a better choice as the Carbolt breaks/fractures much easier. The graver blanks are available from Steve at:
http://www.airgraver.com/graver-blanks.htm
Just finished engraving twenty CRKT knives and the CRKT scales seem to be much harder than the Kershaw knives that I have engraved in the past. I Rockwell tested the CRKT scales (Vox Amicus model 5446) and they came in at 49 plus on the C scale. Have yet to Rockwell test the Kershaw or Spyderco but know they will test significantly less, from my experience engraving them. Recently, I engraved a Spyderco Dragonfly and it was actually a pleasure to engrave....soooo smooth...there is also a big difference in price too between the two knives $35.00 vs $100.00.

Additionally, as Im sure you probably already know, it is paramount to ensure that the knife scale is secured well; because any movement of the piece will also contribute to broken graver tips. I find, whenever possible, it is a good idea to disassemble the knives. With this last job, in that I had a number of knives to engrave, I made a reusable fixture by first applying Thermoset to a block of wood and once melted I put down a layer of thin plastic (from a grocery bag to act as a release) and then pressed the knife scale into it. Once cooled, I pried out the knife scale ... the result was a perfect fit pocket for the scales to be snapped into; which securely held the knife scales. I added the screws just to make sure it stayed put while I engraved on them. In the video below, note the gray plastic plus screw to lock down the scale.
Below is a quick video of the CRKT engraving....(select HD and full screen, if possible)
https://www.facebook.com/100011353012132/videos/398961547158942/

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I too over the years, have engraved a number of Kershaw knives and while the scales are hard they seem to cut well with M42 and Carbalt. IMHO the M42 is a better choice as the Carbolt breaks/fractures much easier. The graver blanks are available from Steve at:
http://www.airgraver.com/graver-blanks.htm
Just finished engraving twenty CRKT knives and the CRKT scales seem to be much harder than the Kershaw knives that I have engraved in the past. I Rockwell tested the CRKT scales (Vox Amicus model 5446) and they came in at 49 plus on the C scale. Have yet to Rockwell test the Kershaw or Spyderco but know they will test significantly less, from my experience engraving them. Recently, I engraved a Spyderco Dragonfly and it was actually a pleasure to engrave....soooo smooth...there is also a big difference in price too between the two knives $35.00 vs $100.00.

Additionally, as Im sure you probably already know, it is paramount to ensure that the knife scale is secured well; because any movement of the piece will also contribute to broken graver tips. I find, whenever possible, it is a good idea to disassemble the knives. With this last job, in that I had a number of knives to engrave, I made a reusable fixture by first applying Thermoset to a block of wood and once melted I put down a layer of thin plastic (from a grocery bag to act as a release) and then pressed the knife scale into it. Once cooled, I pried out the knife scale ... the result was a perfect fit pocket for the scales to be snapped into; which securely held the knife scales. I added the screws just to make sure it stayed put while I engraved on them. In the video below, note the gray plastic plus screw to lock down the scale.
Below is a quick video of the CRKT engraving....(select HD and full screen, if possible)
https://www.facebook.com/100011353012132/videos/398961547158942/

i never used one, but grs sells an adjustable "contour" vice. i think it will fit most folding knife profiles. it secures the folder without damage. i think this would be great for working on several knives at a time without t-loc or hot melt.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
it is a steal bolster clip knife know as a flip knife, they come in a ss finsh or a depressed finsh, i am cutting on the depressed finsh.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Archie for pointing me to the right place. Dave thank you for taking some of the mystery out of dubbing I will be trying that while the M-42 are being shipped.
Skill comes from diligence

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
i never used one, but grs sells an adjustable "contour" vice. i think it will fit most folding knife profiles. it secures the folder without damage. i think this would be great for working on several knives at a time without t-loc or hot melt.
Monk,
Good point ... I looked at that kinda and thought it was kinda "spendy" (Im sure the quality is there as with all other GRS items) but decided the T-loc gave me more options and allowed for larger knives plus options to hold types of items as well.