The first and the latest

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
It's been a while since I've posted any work on here, just lazy I suppose. :biggrin: I've noticed a lot of questions about starting, how long to become good or great engraver, etc. so thought I'd show what 30 couple years of banging your head gets you, lol.
The top folder was made by Scott Summerville in Ill. using bronze for scales on an 18th c. type pattern. I finished engraving the scales a couple of weeks ago.
The bottom folder is a Buck folding hunter that I engraved probably around 1982/3. I remember being so proud of the accomplishment of doing my own engraving. My only instruction after watching a flintlock builder friend engrave was to go home and cut straight lines, when you get bored, cut curly ques. That first graver he made for me for Christmas was made from a round file. As you can see, I got bored real quick and thought, first mistake, that I can just cut metal and it turns out to be pretty. Mastering the basics is paramount to quality work. I's too bad it so long to figure that part out but there weren't any schools that knew about in those days, besides it was always going to be a hobby. I've been making objects and engraving professionally for over 22 years. One must love hind sight when reflecting on the path we tread.
We all started somewhere and it takes time and diligence to get beyond that point. :)
Enjoy!
Mark

Attachments

• P1050219.jpg
    P1050219.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 419

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cool stuff. i'm glad there are so many who take it upon themselves to prevail agains all odds and challenges. whether a master, or hobby engraver, it takes some sort of mental toughness to hang onto a dream and make it work.

Flashmo

Beautiful work. Two questions:

1. Is there some sculpting in the new piece, or is it all done with your shading?

2. Are you still using all manual tools (h&c/push).

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Flashmo,
Thank you
There is no sculpting done only shading and a relieved background.
I use a palm control, H/C and push but use the air assist in most cases. H/C on the first folder, palm control and push gravers on the latest.
Mark

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Bswezey,
That's the idea, we all started somewhere but no one sees the years of frustration. The nice thing, when one comes through it all is that we can smile if we think it was worth it, I for one think it has been and continues to be. It's nice to share a part of the journey. It's the inspiration that keeps us yearning to learn and conquer. Enjoy the journey! hehe
Mark

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mark,I hear you struggle,frustration been there done that today there plenty of information out there now keep chipping and keep up the work.:thumbsup: J.J.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Mark: The top folder looks great. I wish you could see some of my first work that I did back in 1985. I agree with you about the struggles that I went through in the beginning, as there was no internet and virtually no video tapes available then. I spent many hours on the phone long distance with several engravers picking their brains. I have one big regret that I never visited Bruce Meek, as he lived in Newton Iowa, and I drove by there many times to go visit family in Ames Iowa. I also hauled my sons stuff back and forth for five years when he attended Iowa State University. Every time I drove through Newton I always told my self that I would have to go see him someday. Unfortunately he passed away before I could make it there. I have numerous engraving videos but I have attended several classes at GRS in Kansas and think they helped me immensely. There is no substitute for hands on or one on one instruction.

Sponsors