Critique Request Second attempt "Fine English Scroll"

My second attempt to engrave "Fine English Sroll" after reading Marcus Hunt book on the subject. I have tried to take advantage of the comments i received in this forum on my first try. The knife is a cheap one from China.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 257

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
The work is very beautiful and miniature. Are the center of the flowers gold inlay ? One thing in this work which is repeated is the layout of the rare scroll which is not at the same size of its symmetry and that the beginning bouquet in the beginning is attached to the first scroll layout. Is it an English style?

Last edited:
Yes it is Gold in the flowers. The scrolls with a diffrent layout is a "starter-scroll", Marcus Hunt writes in his book that the scrolls must always grow from somewhere and it can be at starter-scroll with a closed tail.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Par

Looks nicely cut again.
What are you using for the cuts?

On the design one thing that seems a little odd to my inexperienced eye is some of the scrolls don't seem to quite flow off the others.

I've circled examples in yellow in the attached photo.

Thanks for posting.

Jeremy

Attachments

• english scroll knife.jpg
    english scroll knife.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 211
For the cut I i using a v 120 for the maincut and v 105 for shadings and Maestro Handpiece Original model
I agree, the flowing of the scrolls could be bettet.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For a second attempt that's looking really good. Well done. However, small scroll needs practice, practice, practice. It's about being able to cut without even thinking about it; rather like when you pick up a pen to write. With practice your cuts will improve and you'll be able to see the confidence in your scrollwork but for a second attempt this is excellent. Keep going.

Tack Jorn-Ove
Jag tycker mycket om denna stil English Fine Scroll men det är svårt att få till det riktigt bra.

Pär Björkman

Marcus H. tank you for taking the time to comment my engraving. Your kind Words inspire me to continue to practce, practice and practice again. But it is only with the help of your book, DVD´s and casting I´ve been able to do this engraving. Pär Björkman

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Next time I am in your hometown, maybe I can give you a visit? I`m not often in Umeå, but if the chance occur, I will try to do so if it is okay.

Jørn-Ove

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it used to be a cheap knife. now the price will go well beyond cheap. looks quite nice. elegant, if you will. the scroll on the left side ( that was circled) is kind of misaligned. i never saw that until it was pointed out. this is just a pleasure to look at. thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Sponsors