Can someone tell me what these tools are for?

Tknorvell

I've followed this forum for a long while and this is my first post. Besides learning hand engraving I'm also a printmaker and carve woodblocks for relief printing. This weekend I'm attending a wood engraving workshop with Wesley Bates where we do detailed engraving on the endgrain of small wood blocks. Mr. Bates knew that I also engraved metal and brought me a set if tools that he claims came from the estate of a metal engraver and said I could have them if I knew what they were used for. I've never seen anything like them so I'm hoping someone on the forum would what they are. Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20161028_095425.jpg
    IMG_20161028_095425.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 363

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
They appear to not be unique to engraving, or watchmaking, or clockmaking. Probably, relative to some craft, they a singular special use in the end product. What would be more helpful is a couple more photos of the whole box, along with whatever logo or company name that might appear so a search can be effected, unless someone else knows what these are. Watchmaking tools are weird, like this, as I have some that defy explanation unless you have old books that get into that sort of thing. More photos may help!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have a cigar box full of those and always wonder what they where used for got them with some old wooden push engraver handles from the Bowman school in Lancaster Pa. J.J.

horologist

I am fairly well versed in watch and clock tools and these don't look to be horological, I think Barry has the answer. They do look manufactured.
It is hard to tell from the photo but it does look like the spacing of the prongs increases as the numbers on the tool go up and perhaps correspond to a measurement in inches. 21 = 0.21" ???

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Barry might be exactly right on that one, come to think of it, from an old photo I once saw of a production shop of guys at the bench engraving the backs of pocket watches and related items. Back years ago, there was a lot of production work that you don't see in today's times. Every minute counted, and speeding up layouts with French curves, and tools as shown, would've been helpful!

monk

Staff member
I have a cigar box full of those and always wonder what they where used for got them with some old wooden push engraver handles from the Bowman school in Lancaster Pa. J.J.

ok,jj-- i give up. what do you use them for?

Peter spode

The late Shaun Banks, the well known British gun engraver, who used to work in the banknote industry had a set of these. They were used to scribe parallel lines for the layout of lettering on banknote plates. They came in a range of sizes to suit the size of lettering required.

JJ Roberts

Barry,Peter..Thank you for solving the mystery. I've had these tools laying around for 10 yrs.name on the box I.C.Towson's Tools.
J.J.

Attachments

• tools.with.points1.jpg
    tools.with.points1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 179
  • tools.with.points.jpg
    tools.with.points.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Bruce,The tools I have are made with wooden handles and they look home made by who ever made and used them. J.J.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, I have a few tools like the wooden handle ones with the single points. The ones I have were my grandfathers. I'm pretty sure they were used as scrapers in the rotogravure industry. He worked in the printing field with the film. The film is what was applied to the printing cylinder prior to being etched in copper then plated in chrome, easiest fix is on the film, hehe.
Best wishes my friend,
Mark

Latest posts

Sponsors