Browning shotgun "engraving" removal?

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone removed the factory engraving from a Citori (425 or Ultra XS)? A friend would like me to engrave a Citori shotgun for him - I don't know how much I can remove without effecting the integrity of the gun.
I am presuming the gold is selective plating and not too deep, but some of the rolled engraving looks like a chore to remove.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Gordon,
That is a chore and probably more work than you need to put yourself through.
You might see what Doug Turnbull would charge your friend to do the removal before you engrave it.
I'm sure it will look great after you get it engraved.
Best.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also JJ Roberts offers polishing service and he did a excellent job on a 94 Winchester for me. Very. Reasonable price

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
As for integrity goes the amount of metal that would need to be removed will not compromise the metal's integrity to the point of making the firearm unsafe. Up or high grading of Browning Superpose's has been done lots of time. Machined false side plates into the frame, far more metal removed, has not rendered these guns unsafe either.

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the replies John, Dave, and Roger.
I've got a refinisher here in Montana that I will check with and proceed with the project.

Thanks,

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for the replies John, Dave, and Roger.
I've got a refinisher here in Montana that I will check with and proceed with the project.

Thanks,

That's a good move getting it done locally Gordon.
It cost so much to ship guns nowadays.
Looking forward hearing how it goes and seeing your engraving.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you have any doubts check with Rich Hambrook. He is a factory engraver at the Browning factory in Missouri. His contact information is in American Engravers-21 and American Engravers III.

Latest posts

Sponsors