Winchester 1873 engraving patterns

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I have a 73 Winchester in the shop the customer wants a 2 dollar pattern. I will be color case hardening the frame so he doesn't want anything elaborate. I can not find a book with factory patterns does such a book exist? I have the Wilson book but not many 2 dollar patterns in that book.
Thanks, Leland

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Something like this would be what you want. The sparsely engraved design was actually quite rare.

Second pic is a $5 design

Attachments

• IMG_4808.jpg
    IMG_4808.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_4807.jpg
    IMG_4807.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 312

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Bluetick. thanks that is way more than customer wants. Do you coon hunt? I spent many a cold Kansas night following bluetick and redtick hounds instead of doing my homework.
Bert, that is what I am looking for. I thought as many books written about Winchester there might be a book with all patterns available from them. Did they have a catalog for customers to choose the pattern they wanted?
Thanks again,Leland

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes there were catalog images. They are not easy to find though. Some of the more popular designs are reprinted in various RL Wilson books. I've yet to find a complete book of every catalog design

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Bert I have been searching for a while if you have not found it probably doesn't exist. Thought I would try Cody tomorrow then give up my quest.
Thanks again, Leland

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I should have been tipped off by the fact that it was a Buffalo Bill commemorative rifle!! No, I don't hunt with dogs but I am a big Tennessee fan and Smokey is out Bluetick mascot.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The reference you seek is entitled Winchester Repeating Arms - Highly Finished Arms, originally published in 1897. I purchased a 1970 reprint from the Cody Museum several years ago. https://www.amazon.com/Winchester-Highly-Finished-Arms-Catalog/dp/B005CIK3ZM

The $5. engraving pattern is listed as the #10 pattern. There are no Model 1873 rifles pictured in the catalog but you could extrapolate the design to an 1873. Even though the #10 is the least expensive pattern listed, you may be surprised at just how much engraving is involved. Here is a link to the Turnbull web site that shows the #10 pattern on a Model 1894. http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun/winchester-1894-deluxe-carbine/