just curious

Darrell

I, in no way ever will be an engraver of the master craftsmanship some of you guys put into show piece arms...........

if a person was to stay on one gun and stay on it, how long would it take on average, week, a month, months?

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't answer that. Every project has different requirements from the customer and it is usually the budget that determines the time spent, plus any precious metals associated with it.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Somewhere in a past post, by whom I can't remember, it was said that one particular Italian Master did two shotguns per year. From what I saw, that was with a pretty good amount of coverage, in the style that those guys are known for. I still think it's anyone's guess as to how long a project should take, as there are numerous factors to take into account. So, that still doesn't answer the question!

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Don't sell yourself short... There's no reason with all the resources available now that if you put in the blood, sweat and tears that you can't become the master that is inside you, waiting to emerge. I'm still pretty new at this but every day I see improvement, both at the bench and with the sketchpad. I recently got an air assist setup and am amazed at what a difference it has made both in my progress as an engraver but also in my desire to spend time at the bench. This thing is just flat out FUN and I can't wait to get home from work to spend time with it. I say all this to make the point that you should never limit your aspirations... Enjoy the process and strive to build on your successes and to learn from your failures... The masters didn't become masters overnight.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I, in no way ever will be an engraver of the master craftsmanship some of you guys put into show piece arms...........

if a person was to stay on one gun and stay on it, how long would it take on average, week, a month, months?

the most time consuming gun i ever did was a colt peacemaker. took me a tad over 300 hours. i know, as i used a stopwatch. drawing,traansfer, etc. actual cutting time was probably 280 hours. and btw: far from being a museum piece. i actually donated the engraving to our local library to auction off.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Hummm.... How long, I engrave mostly shotgun, a lot of them are side locks I would say between 400 (2 months) and 1500 (7 months) hours, of course I do not have a life, lol.

Darrell

WOW!, Thanks for the responses, truly a devotion, I as a former auto body tech, I can really appreciate the artistry and time and devotion to those that built custom show cars, I know whats involved and could never make that grade, maybe my ADD kicks in.:) thanks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there was an item of silver posted a couple weeks ago. it was said the man doing the work--- spent 10 hours a day-- for 3 years !! that is way beyond dedication.

Sponsors