Silent Air Compressors Other than SilentAire

Jkasal

I know GRS provides a very inexpensive quiet air compressor now. I think a 4 gallon for $400 ish. I tried it out a few weeks ago when I was at the engraving school and it wasn't "silent" but extremely quiet and a good price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Tell me just how quiet is quiet I've had other compressors that say they're quiet but I couldn't hear myself think there seems to be a difference of idea what 52 decibels are most places I find 52 decibels is about equal to a V16 Caterpillar diesel motor running full throttle so just wondering. Skill comes from diligence

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jun Air makes a great compressor. I also have an Italian knock off of the Jin air, that seems to me to be every bit the compressor. So far. Called Panther.

I live near Silentair HQ here in the US. About a ten minute drive. I would shoot them an email or give them a call and ask if they distribute their compressors under a different name to germany or if they can ship one there. They brand them as PAnther Werther, or Silentaire.

I bought both mine direct from Silentaire as factory refurbs for around 400 each and they retail for around 1000 usd. It may be worth it even to have one shipped if they have a refurb ready to ship.

As far as noise level you want to look for one that has the type of motor setup you see in the one in the link below.

http://airinc.net/product/p15tc-110v/

Its similar to a refrigerator compressor its an enclosed design which makes it very very quiet. The click of the pressure switch turning the motor on and off is louder than the running motor. 30db which is "whisper quiet in a library at 6ft away". In other words its barely audible.

Silentaire
Phone: (832) 327-9378
http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/contactus_tech.asp
Email: techsupport@silentaire.com

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Decibel readings don't mean a whole lot since there are so many variables that a manufacturer can make them to read however they like. The silent compressors are extremely quiet. The others are tolerable but they can't be compared to the silent models.

Takoyaki

Sil-Air or Silentaire is from Italy. Cheaper in Europe than at the US.
Just mind about, European models have 230V, if You want to take the compressor later back to the US and use it at 110V.
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/2744416_-sil-air-30-9-silent-air-technology.html

Jun-air is from Denmark, also cheaper at Europe I think.
http://www.walker-druckluft-shop.de/Kolbenkompressor/JUN-AIR
I have an Jun-Air 6-25, satisfied with it.
Very quiet, it stands under my workbench in a condomium, with many family neighbors, no complains at all! The pneumatic engraver is louder!
It`s a European Model (230v) what I use here in Japan with a power converter on the local 100V.
I got it used for about 220 U$ (converted to U$).
Here in Japan this compressor sells new for around U$2700 !

Jun-Air is pricier than Sil-Air.
If it`s also better, I dunno!

https://www.maschinensucher.de/mss/jun+air+kompressor

Do not choose a compressor with a small tank, it will always run and therefore more noisy and also will give up earlier!

Good luck!

Tako

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
KEEP IN MIND: the quietest compressors are oil-lubricated and as such WILL REQUIRE thorough filtration of the air before it reaches your engraving machine, be it a GraverMax/Mach/Smith, Enset, or Lindsay. they must have CLEAN, DRY air. GRS sells a combo filter/oil-coalescing unit for a reasonable price. http://www.grstools.com/air-compressors/004-730.html

Takoyaki

Hi,

I`d go with one of the "brands", new or used!
You`ll get parts if nesserary, even used.
And! If You have or want to, you get it sold quick and for a good price!
They are sought after by many others who are fed up with their cheap compressors!
Buy Quality in tools ... something cheap, You will soon have to replace ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY5AGEdb1w

----------------------------------------------------------
monk wrote:
i'd give away my housecat before my jun-air
----------------------------------------------------------
Lol!

Just my thinking!

Best of Luck,
Tako

Last edited:

Victor.eide

you can make any compressor silent. get on youtube & research hacks for compressors. There are so many options, many of which are inexpensive or free. I watched a video the other day where someone makes a silent compressor from an old mini refrigerator. That being said, my California air compressor was $150 with free shipping from amazon. The tank is steel instead of aluminum, which reduces the price by like $100.00. Its not super quiet, but it runs for about twenty seconds every fifteen-thirty minutes while I am engraving. I bet I could modify it for a few dollars & make it silent, but seems a lot easier just to move it away from you & run the air hose to your work area.

Steve L S

I bought a "quiet" compressor for the inside studio because the one in the outside workshop is far too noisy and too far away to pipe air from it.The compressor was advertised as 55db suitable for picture framers, upholsterers working indoors. It is not quiet at all but my hair is grey which means I did not come up with the last shower of rain and fully understand that we are all living in a "post truth world" and have implemented my backup contingency _ I have put it in a vented soundproof box :)

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I used to keep a pretty loud one in a vented soundproof box (corrugated foam) with a bathroom fan mounted on top and mesh covered hole at the bottom to keep it cool.

All materials were free, just some time, glue, a borrowed nail gun, some wire and screws I already had.

One switch mounted on the bench turned 'em both on.

Worked fine 'till it finally died of old age...probably 15 years later?

Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I've nothing against 'em, we have a couple Silentaires, a JunAir & Panther now. All of them great products.

But there was a time, way back when I was doing the "starving artist" thing - I had to make do with what I had.

Hence the soundproof box setup... which cost me next to nothing, but a little time.

B.