Question: Wire Gauges for Different Flat Graver Sizes

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
Noob question.
I've been searching for this but have not found a matrix showing which gauge wire to use for the different flat graver widths.
Is this readily available?
Thanks

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Jonathans,
That would depend on whether you are going for a flush or raised line and also how deep you make the cut.
For flush I usually figure on 120-130% of the volume of the cut.
For raised linework I usually start with about 200% of the volume, set and shape to contour and size.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jonathans- that's something that will answer itself with experience. variations in inlay technique and personal variables can make a huge difference from one engraver to another. for example, many years ago i was doing a couple rifle projects that had a LOT of gold line borders, maybe .012" wide. there was so much that i drew about a mile of wire to a specific diameter just for the purpose. later at a Guild show i was comparing notes with Terry Wallace and he said he tended to draw wire no finer than would barely fit within the cut channel, then expected it to flow along ahead of the punch as the cavity was filled. iirc, he said sometimes he'd use only an inch of wire to fill 2-3" of the undercut groove.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
I'm basically trying to figure out, if I use a #36 flat, and am doing a flush inlay, what gauge wire to get. I just don't want to spend good $ on the wrong size!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Order fat wire and get a drawplate to pull it down to the size needed. That way you don't have to order a specific size of wire.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds like you are new to inlay, MTC start with copper wire or .999 silver. Cheap and good practice

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Get a drawplate, order some 18ga 24k round wire, and draw to whatever sizes you need. There is no reliable flat graver to wire size chart as flat gravers will often vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
The drawplate/18ga solution sounds like it will cover any circumstance I'll likely encounter. Now to go to Youtube to figure out how to use a drawplate!
Thanks for the help.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
Got it. I ordered a carbide draw plate, some 18ga soft brass and copper wire, and a little 20ga 24k gold (the 18ga 24k is mighty spendy!). This is plenty to keep me busy with the little bit I learned at the GRS basic class. I have plenty of skill exercises to work on.

Latest posts

Sponsors