Hello from Kansas

DM1975

I'd like to introduce myself. I joined here years ago when I was retiring from the Army and completely forgot about it until a month or so ago. I began making guitar picks from quarters and wanted to engrave the picks. I started a couple months ago with a dremel and files and in the last week I've built a vise block from a bowling ball and push gravers from punches from the hardware store.

I also built up a bench and got an illuminated magnifier. Most of everything I made myself or am making. I haven't even made the handles for my punches, I just use a couple rags wrapped around the punches.

Here are some images of my setup and some work I've done. Please remember I've only been push graving for about four days now. Everything I've done or made has been strictly from research on the web. Thank you.

final.jpg IMG_2439.jpg final.jpg final.jpg final.jpg

DM1975

Thank you! I know I'm just getting started but I'd like to engrave guns knives and motorcycle parts and such. I engraved the primary cover on my motorcycle a few years ago but used a pneumatic rotary tool to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1959.JPG
    IMG_1959.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 179

DM1975

Thanks. I make the skull pick for the blues player Charley Hicks but I've sold a bunch of the regular ones and these to all kinds of people like Clay Cook from the Zack Brown Band and Danny Lohner from Nine Inch Nails. I did a different version of the skull pick but it was done with a rotary tool. I'm trying to go with just push graving from now on. I'm even practicing scrolls like what's on my vise jig. And practicing my drawing some as well. Here is one I just finished engraving.

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 177

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's a great setup for a home grown job! i like unique stuff such as you show. the bike work is very good, considering it was done with a dreml. btw-- welcome to the forum.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
mitch: have you used this vice? if so, how heavy is it? looks to be very nice.

no, i haven't, but this topic came up a few years and it seems a couple people were pretty pleased with it, or ones like it.