Knife engraving

Set the sTone

Hi there, I have a customer who would like to have a handmade knife engraved. He would like initials and dates. It's made form japanese metal, I don't know the specific type. Anyone with experience of this type of metal who could do it for him?
Thanks

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Need details... Is the "Japanese metal" Mokume Gane? If not, can you find out what it is?

What style, size and depth of lettering? Filled, not filled? Where are you and he located?

Little things like that make a lot of difference as to who will respond...

Brian

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Japanese metal can be any metal made in Japan. This can include ferrous as well as non-ferrous metals. If you are referring to the metals used to make the Tsuba on Samurai swords there are many different alloys and combinations that were used. I am no expert, but here are just a few. Mokume Gane (literal translation meaning: wood grain), Shakudo (mixture of gold and copper), Shibuichi (Mixture of copper and silver) and Keum Boo (technique of adhering gold foil to another metal using low heat and burnishing without the use of solder of any kind).

Set the sTone

The Miyabi 6000MCT knives are the perfect symbiosis of ultimate functionality and unique aesthetics. The blade is made of ice-hardened Micro-Carbide Cryodur steel, folded between two layers of other steel. This steel is hand-hammered (Tsuchime), which gives the blade a gorgeous traditional look. The small dents on the blade make sure food does not stick to it. The 63HRC steel makes it a very hard blade. The blade is Honbazuke-sharpened and combined with the high hardness guarantees ultimate sharpness. The stabilised cocobolo-wood handle is ergonomically shaped and the mosaic pin completes this beautiful knife.