1881 Marlin Rifle on Gunbroker / Nimschke?

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Seemsike the price is a bit low also.... I'm no expert by any means but don't rifles engraved by Ulrich, Nimschke and the like sell into the six figures?

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To my eye, most certainly original John Ulrich, it is his standard " english "scroll.
As to price, because it is an entry level scroll and scene job, not really a significant piece- fine guns at auction, unless they are of the highest level, are bringing some of the lowest prices in years, with many not selling at all.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Barry entirely. This is clearly a John Ulrich engraving. It is a factory #2 level engraving. #10 was the highest cataloged. Unfortunately gun experts like Col. Brophy are often an encyclopedia of knowledge on a specific make of gun but wouldn't know Nimschke if he came back from the dead.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I hope the guy that has this gun up reads these remarks. I communicated with him when it first went up and pointed out several aspects that show that it is Ulrich. There is an example of a Ulrich Winchester that looks like this engraving, right down to the shape of the scrolls. There is just the assumption that Ulrich worked for Winchester and therefore a Marlin would wouldn't be engraved by Ulrich.

Latest posts

Sponsors