Question: Diy engravers vice attempt 2

Thomaseason

I think ive just about cracked it! I aquired a circular washing machine bearing 10cm across, i then laid it flat, cut a 10cm circle of wood, added bunk bed nuts as spacers, cut a 3cm round hole in the wood, bolted it together and the middle part of bearing spins freely.... perfect, then i ordered a 10cm stainless garden hollow ball for 2 pound, cut it in half, the wood circle dropped in perfectly. Fill the half sphere up with heavy coins, drop the wood in, screw through half sphere into wood, cut jewellers vice handle till it forms a tight fit for centre of bearing, 2 holes were already in centre column so i added 2 handles, rest half sphere on roll of tape, it works really really well. Very happy, pics in album on profile, not sure how to put it on thread

Thomaseason

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
I am a fan of the do it yourself guys.....Maybe I can suggest some mods, shorten up all screws that are sticking out.....Also you might make the base larger for the bowl to ride in......You should think about building a turntable....This could make things go smoother....look up the turntable I put together maybe it will give you an idea to work with....

good luck Bob

Thomaseason

I am a fan of the do it yourself guys.....Maybe I can suggest some mods, shorten up all screws that are sticking out.....Also you might make the base larger for the bowl to ride in......You should think about building a turntable....This could make things go smoother....look up the turntable I put together maybe it will give you an idea to work with....

good luck Bob

Thank you for the input bob, those bits sticking out are meant to be handles, there off now though as its easier without them, good advice on the bowl as it tends to tip steeply, thank you! I'll look up your turntable also,

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thats an invaluable pdf bartelfitzneel you should post it to the forum! Thank you

i like the diy stuff myself. as long as it works, you can get the real stuff later. when posting those fotos, you should post
(include) them all in the original posting. doing it your way, takes additional "space" in the forum memory bank.

Latest posts

Sponsors