Help, please: Help starting out with engraving

Sir-Mendez

Good morning gents, I have two questions I hope you all can answer and help me out a bit here. I am new to the world of engraving just starting out on jewelry, I am having a hard time figuring out what are the best hand engravers out there that will do a good job engraving stainless steel. I am doing hand engraving on small stainless steel pendants and want my job to be as smooth as possible to get it done right. I dont have much of a budget to purchase what I need so all suggestions are welcome. My other question is what type of knifes do you guys consider the best to do hand engraving work on? By best I mean easiest to work with, thank you guys for reading my post!

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the Cafe! You'll find answers to all your questions here, but you'll have to look for them using the search function, it's the white rectangle in the upper right corner. There are several threads dealing with the topic of beginners and in the sticky's there is a list of all the stuff you'll need. Check the tips and tricks tab and also the iGraver tab. There is also a current thread on engraving stainless you'll want to check out. Here's a link to get you started.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?21670-Beginner-s-tool-list

And another...

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?21808-Engraving-Stainless-steel-ring

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To help "people" answer your question you would need to be more specific about

The metal you're engraving into

The tools you're presently using

The type of engraving you're trying to do

Can you put a $ to the budget?

Where roughly are you based?

PS.... we loooooooove good pictures, post photos of what you're doing... we do want to see.

Click on my page and read all the threads I've started. You can see a five year journey and a LOT of helpful comments.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you're going to hand push on stainless, you're in for a ride, tough material to cut. The most inexpensive tools are a chasing hammer, gravers, a vise and some means of sharpening the gravers. Can't say much more with the limited information posted.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you're a beginner, i'd suggest learning all you wiill need to learn-- graver control, drawing, sharpening, pattern transfer, & etc using copper, brass, and mild steel. once proficient in these metals, you'll be qualified to move up to ss. starting with ss alone, you'll be adding insult to misery and frustration. good luck, and don't be in a hurry. this art, even if one takes a class, is not an overnight done deal.

Latest posts

Sponsors