catastrophe at the drugstore

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
time to touchup 14 gravers. out of mineral, i went to the pharmacy. they're out as well. i lubed my diamond disk with 10-w 30 motor oil. anybody knnow if this oil will degrade the o-rings in the grs dual angler? try as i may, a bit of oil always finds a way to get on the holder.:mad::mad::confused:

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
If the O rings are nitrile or neoprene you should be fine. If they are EPDM (which I doubt...) there will most likely be trouble.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
time to touchup 14 gravers. out of mineral, i went to the pharmacy. they're out as well. i lubed my diamond disk with 10-w 30 motor oil. anybody knnow if this oil will degrade the o-rings in the grs dual angler? try as i may, a bit of oil always finds a way to get on the holder.:mad::mad::confused:

They always have mineral oil at Walmart and Target.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Well, if the motor oil degrades (makes the O rings too large) you can always go back to the "drugstore" and buy some Preparation H and see if it will shrink the O rings back to size.

monk

Staff member
Well, if the motor oil degrades (makes the O rings too large) you can always go back to the "drugstore" and buy some Preparation H and see if it will shrink the O rings back to size.

my teeth were itchy and swollen, worked like magic on my t-brush

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
You could have always used Dawn dish soap and water avoiding the hydrocarbons all together it doesn't sound good but it works wonderful. This is what I use when I cut all of my gemstones as do most other fasteners many stones are toxic just as the Dust the dust trapped in the water and carried away try it you might like it.

Skill comes from diligence.

Flashmo

I have been using diamond stones for a couple decades, and no manufacturer has ever recommended an oil for them...always water.

I use water and Dawn dishsoap as a surfactant. When I have some time, I will post a pic of my set up that keeps the water from flinging.

monk

Staff member
You could have always used Dawn dish soap and water avoiding the hydrocarbons all together it doesn't sound good but it works wonderful. This is what I use when I cut all of my gemstones as do most other fasteners many stones are toxic just as the Dust the dust trapped in the water and carried away try it you might like it.

Skill comes from diligence.

cleaker: thanks for that. do you find the concoction flying all over the place? or do you make it thick? i don't set stones, but graver dust, any dust for that matter, is not a good thing in the lungs. a lot of the crap is cumulative. therin lies the problem.

monk

Staff member
I have been using diamond stones for a couple decades, and no manufacturer has ever recommended an oil for them...always water.

I use water and Dawn dishsoap as a surfactant. When I have some time, I will post a pic of my set up that keeps the water from flinging.

man, i learn somethin every day. i used water for a long time, i just gravitated to mineral oil. reasonable viscosity, and non lethal. surely no problem of rust with the oil.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never go in them day or night actually. And, not just because there was a shooting in the one nearest to us about 18 months ago.

I try to NOT patronize them, but its hard when they're the only game in town. We have three Super WalMarts within a 10 mile triangle and they have run all the small businesses into closing due to not being able to compete. Really sad, but the "lemmings" here love it.....it's the new social meeting place.

Latest posts

Sponsors